Gelcoat

Jan 6, 2013
Catalina 310 Toronto
Does any one know what is a good color mix for white gelcoat for a Catalina 310.
I was going to try a little bit of brown or yellow. Thanks

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
You will have to color match since gelcoat naturally fades and oxidizes over time, making darker, more bold colors muted, and bright white colors can yellow or become an off white and lose their real finish. Start with a very small amount of yellow tint mixed in white gel coat. Keep dabbing it onto the original surface to get a comparison. It's a time consuming process even for a pro to match by eye. Yellow, brown and black should cover any of the typical boat interior colors. This article might be helpful: Color matching gelcoat – Jamestown Distributors

Apr 13, 2015
Catalina 309 Port Charlotte
I just had to do this on my C309 and got a good color match with a tiniest bit of brown tint (patch in the cockpit area). yellow was far too yellow to help match. one area near the transom, ended up matching on basically pure white. so it definitely can vary from spot to spot based on fading and sun etc.

good luck with it...
Dave in Charlotte Harbor

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Gelcoat color matching is an art form... Here is one persons ideas into this mystery.

Aug 10, 2020
Catalina C25 3559 Rocky Mount
Yellow oxide and black will get you there. Very very small amounts addded to white. Wet sand and polish a spot near your repair to match to. Work in good light.

Go slow, use very small amount of pigment. It's easier to keep adding tiny bits of pigments than to add more gel coat if you get too much color.

I did mobile gel repair for 8 years... Good luck!

Jan 4, 2013
Catalina 270 Rochester, NY
I had good luck for this premixed gel-coat from iboat