Gel coat big ouch

Jun 17, 2012
C&C 35 MKIII Manitowoc, WI
Ok so so I could blame it on the driving rain….but it was actually my soaked slippery gloved hands that dropped the companionway plexiglass thus causing a VERY UGLY chip in my cockpit gel coat! So since I’m already in recovery mode-and I have done plenty of automotive body restoration…could someone help me with information on where to source a small quantity of a matching gel coating repair kit. My vessel is a 2002 Hunter 356. I’m thinking a small jar of the filler and a separate catalys. i have heard there is some su—liver out there that su-plies this in Hunter White…but no luck searching so far. From Lake MI…thank you!

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Here are some links to the art form known as "GelCoat Repair".

It would be wonderful if you could grab an online package off the shelf and slap it on. The problem is you have gelcoat that has been aged in the sun for the past few years. You will need to best match the gelcoat on your boat to a similar color mixed from new raw material.

That is the art. The youtube videos will give you some clues into this alchemy

Apex

Jun 19, 2013
C&C 30 Elk Rapids
adds "Character"?!? Boyne CIty, I will be racing there in a few weeks.

Mar 20, 2016
Beneteau 351 WYC Whitby
Most good repair shops send out part of your boat for high speed buff and color match. I had a repair done they sent out my helm seat ,the repair is a perfect match you cannot see any difference . I found out local to me where they sent it to which is the supplier for all there epoxy, gelcoat and supplies. They then gave me a mason jar full of matching gelcoat

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
The gel coat patch kit from the Forum store is matched to your boat gel coat and is designed to dry. Regular gel coat will not dry in air unless PVA ingredient is added.

The forum store has the parts build list for your boat. Currently SBO is owned by a former Hunter employee