Gear Ratio of my Beneteau Oceanis 48 | Built 2027

Nov 16, 2022
Beneteau Oceanis 48 Marina Leros
Hello,

I would like to change my saildrive propeller due to some damages on the old one.
I came across the flexofold propeller and was wondering if I should be this one or not.

Does anyone have some experience with this company?

And does anybody know the gear ratio of the Yanmar 4JH4TE SD 55KW? Should be 1:2,23 or 1:2,49. As I'm currently in Germany I'm not able to check the manual which is on the boat.

Maybe someone owns the same boat /model and knows a exact gear ratio.

Thanks a lot in advance ;)
WhatsApp Image 2023-12-11 at 13.35.50 (1).jpeg

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
As I found with my boat, the gear ratio isn't necessarily the same on all boats even of the same model. Gear ratio of my Kanzaki is 2.21 while most other boats of same model is 2.62. Kanzaki lists both as being compatible with my engine. Maybe with a sail drive it is more consistent, but after finding that mine is different from the norm (for no apparent reason), I wouldn't trust any information other than what you find on your boat.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
I’ve had very good experience with Flexofold. Gave them my engine and transmission specs and they suggested the prop size and pitch. Their suggestion seemed right on - I get about the same speed under engine, maybe a little bit more, and can still just barely reach full RPMs at full throttle. Under sail the speed increase is very significant, especially in light air.

As Scott said I wouldn’t trust any specs for the gear ratio other than what you find on the engine. Our Yanmar conventional transmission has a plate attached saying the ratios; I presume the saildrive would have the same style indicator.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
As others have said, you either need to find the documentation for your boat (it wasn’t really built in 2027…so start with getting that correct) along with engine make/model and transmission make/model/gear ratio. Engine and gear box should have badge plates on them With the information. Take a photo, and then you have it for reference..

look for something like this… from my engine and transmission.

IMG_1420.jpeg IMG_1089 1.jpeg

With that information and some info about your boat (displacement, length at waterline, beam) the folks at Flex-o-fold can give you the proper options for a sail drive prop.

Max-Prop is another option. This is a feathering prop instead of a folding prop like the FoF.

When I researched a new prop for my O’Day 322, I filled out forms on-line for both props and received email recommendations and pricing from both companies.

I went with MaxProp for my regular shaft monohull. Mostly because I I like the fact that I can adjust the pitch (even in the water). And is is reported to have a really strong reverse bite.

Good luck with your purchase. By the way…what chewed up the prop like that?

Greg