Gear box oil change frequency and tips

Guan

Jul 18, 2011
Beneteau Oceanis 361 Vancouver
I need some advice on gearbox oil change frequency and some tips to prevent associated problems for a mechanical nerd, thanks again.

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
Gearbox.... I assume you mean transmission. I change mine every fall when I change my oil. I have a yanmar engine

greg

senang

Oct 21, 2009
hunter 38 Monaco
My Yanmar 3JH4E gearbox needs new oil every 250 hrs or once a year according to the manual. I change gearbox oil about every 2 years, never doing the 250 hours in a season.

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
The engine/transmission user manual should specify the interval and fluid type. I change my transmission oil every fall at layup.

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
@Guan , need to know a few more things about your engine before we can offer any educated thoughts. Would go a long way towards answering your questions.

Make:
Model:

some tips to prevent associated problems
You'll have to explain what you mean by associated problems. Are these transmission problems and their causes ?

Apr 8, 2010
Ericson Yachts Olson 34 28400 Portland OR
In general, change the transmission oil once a year when you also change the engine oil.
This is cheap preventative maintenance.
If you motor a Lot of hours, like over 100, change it more often. Compared to any potential drive train problem you may have to fix, oil is Cheap!
:)

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
What year, make and model is your engine. You need to get the manufacturers recommended fluids for your specific model for Engine and Transmission. Yanmar for example has some transmissions that use ATF while others use regular motor oil. I would recommend for a transmission to use synthetic fluid as the transmission is a closed and clean environment and synthetic fuel is more heat resistant and offers better protection against viscocity breakdown. An added benefit is that you could go years before having to replace the fluid. Always peridically check the fluid level, check for any contamination and check the viscocity. If all is good why replace? On the other hand I would not recommend using synthetic oil for the engine. Because of combustion by-products it is going to get dirty anyways but principally because many have reported developing oil leaks in their engines after switching to synthetic oil.

• Helpful