Gauerhauer Traveler

Jul 14, 2015
Catalina 30 Stillhouse Hollow Marina
Has anyone tried running the traveler lines back to the cockpit closer to the wheel? I probably adjust my traveler more than any other setting on my boat.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
John, the "trick" is to avoid "being a slave behind the wheel" and letting your autopilot steer the boat. When I need to adjust my traveler often is going upwind. The boat should be reasonably balanced, reefed early, and the traveler "played" when necessary. During those times I'm always in front of the wheel. Going to beam or broad reach and downwind, the traveler is down anyway and needs no adjustment.

You might be interested in this topic, especially reply #16 by John, who uses his mainsheet. He'd also suggested making the traveler lines longer to reach the wheel in other discussions. I just odn't think it's necessary.

Single Handing 101 http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,5445.15.html

Jul 14, 2015
John, the "trick" is to avoid "being a slave behind the wheel" and letting your autopilot steer the boat. When I need to adjust my traveler often is going upwind. The boat should be reasonably balanced, reefed early, and the traveler "played" when necessary. During those times I'm always in front of the wheel. Going to beam or broad reach and downwind, the traveler is down anyway and needs no adjustment.

You might be interested in this topic, especially reply #16 by John, who uses his mainsheet. He'd also suggested making the traveler lines longer to reach the wheel in other discussions. I just odn't think it's necessary.

Single Handing 101 http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,5445.15.html
I I'm only behind the wheel when docking I am usually next to it or in front of it. I do not have an autopilot

mortyd

Dec 11, 2004
Catalina 30 easy living
i for one made my traveler lines longer but mostly they just got in the way in the cockpit so i gave up the idea and also use the autopilot. if you don't have an autopilot try using the wheel brake for short times to adjust the traveler.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
And if you use the wheel brake, resist the temptation to crank it down as hard as you can. Just tighten it enough to get a small amount of resistance. That's all you need if your sail plan is balanced, and has the advantage of not only allowing you to move the wheel, but makes the brake last longer.

May 17, 2004
Other Catalina 30 Tucson, AZ
Here's why I ran my traveler lines back to the wheel. Previously, my wife would complain the boat was heeling and asked me to get it back on it's feet. My response was for her to take the wheel while I adjusted the traveler. Here response was she'd take the wheel after I got the boat on it's feet!!! Anyway, lines to the helm solved that problem plus using the traveler is the quickest way to get the boat on it's feet in a gust. After the gust, you just reset the traveler to its previous position and go merrily on your way,

Jul 14, 2015
Here's why I ran my traveler lines back to the wheel. Previously, my wife would complain the boat was heeling and asked me to get it back on it's feet. My response was for her to take the wheel while I adjusted the traveler. Here response was she'd take the wheel after I got the boat on it's feet!!! Anyway, lines to the helm solved that problem plus using the traveler is the quickest way to get the boat on it's feet in a gust. After the gust, you just reset the traveler to its previous position and go merrily on your way,
Can you explain or show pictures how you accomplished that?

May 17, 2004
Can you explain or show pictures how you accomplished that?
I just changed out the lines and made them longer to reach the wheel. The Garhauer straight track traveler (I got rid of the curved track traveler after a modification try to make it work) made adjustment easy -- I could release tension on the lines with a flick of the wrist and snap them back to lock quickly. I also had Garhauer make me a 2' winch handle (yup, I mean 2 foot) so I could trim the jib without leaving the helm. Those mods made my wife happy -- she didn't have to do anything but sit back and "catch ray's"!!

Nov 26, 2008
Endeavour 42 Cruisin
This also depends on how your boat is designed. My traveller is behind me at the helm of my center cockpit. I have the c ontrol lines at the ends of the track, just off either elbow when sitting at the helm. Mainsheet is also right there. The 2 primaries for jibsheets are on the coaming just a few feet away, also close to the helm.

Jul 14, 2015
I just changed out the lines and made them longer to reach the wheel. The Garhauer straight track traveler (I got rid of the curved track traveler after a modification try to make it work) made adjustment easy -- I could release tension on the lines with a flick of the wrist and snap them back to lock quickly. I also had Garhauer make me a 2' winch handle (yup, I mean 2 foot) so I could trim the jib without leaving the helm. Those mods made my wife happy -- she didn't have to do anything but sit back and "catch ray's"!!
I have the same Garhauer setup. Where do you lay the lines, outside the coaming?

Nov 26, 2008
Endeavour 42 Cruisin
Ooooops...I get posts via 'new posts'. Did not see it was in the "catalina center cockpit haters group" :) (that is a joke, guys!)

May 17, 2004
I have the same Garhauer setup. Where do you lay the lines, outside the coaming?
JohnVTX: Mostly along the seats -- I needed them where I could easily get to them. 90% of the time it was just my wife and myself. If we had guests on board I'd leave the setup on the cabin top in hopes the guest would want to play with the sail trim -- most did but my wife would start on me when we left the home driveway to shut about about sail trim because no one gives a crap about it. As a result I never brought up the subject of sail trim unless the guests asked. Sometimes I'd try to bring it up but I'd get that "evil eye" that only gals can give!!!

dj2210

Feb 4, 2012
Catalina 30 Watts Bar
I also use my traveler alot (especially while racing) and made the lines long enough for me to reach while sitting near the wheel. I rarely sit behind the wheel cause I can't reach the primaries even with a T cockpit. Traveler lines just lay on the cockpit floor. I have thought about putting cam cleats at the edge of the coach to make it easier to release but haven't yet.

mortyd

Dec 11, 2004
Catalina 30 easy living
it's clear that each of us uses his boat differently. i have a large destroyer wheel and steer the boat with one hand while i sit on the coaming, making don's system impractical - i've tried.

May 17, 2004
Everyone hears a different drummer but I don't see where my suggestion is impractical in your situation. I'm trying to picture your situation. Without the traveler lines within easy reach you've got to get off the coaming and move forward to adjust the traveler. What I'm suggesting is get off the coaming, stand behind the wheel or in front of it, flick the lines to make the adjustment and then go back to sitting on the coaming.

mortyd

Dec 11, 2004
Catalina 30 easy living
don, i really haven't thought about it because i use my autopilot. by the way i laminated the sail trim charts you sent me and used angle section to mount them on the bulkhead(?) either side of the main hatch so that they're very handy.

Nov 28, 2009
Catalina 30 St. Croix
I installed a new traveler in the cockpit just forward of the locker. I can seat on the coamming, steer, trim main and main fine tune and play the traveler or the genoa sheet. It has a wheel.

Jul 14, 2015
I recently replaced the lines on my Garhauer Traveler and made them allot longer. I can now adjust traveler even while sitting behind the wheel.