G10 fiberglass board online resource.

Aug 7, 2018
Catalina 350 Great Sodus Bay, Lake Ontario
View attachment 163377 I need a piece of g10 to fix an uneven surface inside the hull. The surface where the transducer goes through is not "flat" it tapers inside the hull, the nut inside bottoms out on one side before it tightens. I am thinking to add epoxy and bed the g10 then drill a new hole in the g10 It was leaking when we bought the boat last year and was filled with silicone. I tried amazon and Granger, no luck. Does anyone know an online vendor? I was also thinking of fairing compound over the hull inside and then drill from below to clean up the edge. Will that work? Suggestions on material to use?

Attachments

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Try McMaster-Carr's website. I have seen it there in previous searches.

Aug 7, 2018
Thanks for the tip I did find it there. Now wondering if the g10 is the correct fix. Perhaps fairing compound or marine tex to fill the 1/8 gap on the side?

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
G10 is a good choice. Fair it in so the it is level. You may run into an issue with the silicone on the hull preventing good adhesion between the epoxy and the hull. Placing cloth over the G10 and going out a few inches beyond the G10 to make certain it is well attached to the boat and won't move or leak.

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Now wondering if the g10 is the correct fix. Perhaps fairing compound or marine tex to fill the 1/8 gap on the side?
Either G10 or epoxy (marine tex) should be a suitable fix. As Dave mentioned, clean the hull surface thoroughly and sand to rid the surface of residual silicone, to ensure a good bond.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Or you could buy a transducer with an angled through hull fitting that matches the angle of the hull. That is the normal method of install on a sailboat.

Jan 15, 2012
Ericson 28/2 Port Kent
After removing the silicone. Build a dam out of modeling clay in the shape and level you need. Then mix up a batch of thickened epoxy resin and chopped fiberglass and pour it in. Strike it off at the desired level and wait for the epoxy to cure. Less expensive then G10 and you may already have the epoxy.

Aug 7, 2018
Jssailem: The hull is near flat on the exterior hull at the transducer install point. This was moulded at the factory with a change in thickness at that location, almost a "ridge" that runs right through the middle of the hole. The original installer picked the wrong place by a few inches, when it leaked later in life ...... silicone. LOTS of silicone. I can fill the original hole and redrill further away but I am hoping the fairing will work. Thanks for your idea, that may be a solution depending on cost and delivery time. The transducer came in a package closeout from defender, an alternate was not an option unless I bought a second.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Check the transducer manufacture. There may be a thru hull fitting that can adjust the angle. Which product model did you buy? Manufacturer?

AaronD

Aug 10, 2014
Catalina 22 9874 Newberg, OR / Olympia, WA
Try McMaster-Carr's website. I have seen it there in previous searches.
Yes, McMaster carries it. A 12x12 sheet of 1/4" is ~$30. Jamestown carries it for a similar price, but they also sell a 6-pack that's considerably cheaper per sheet; after a couple times buying 'just one more sheet', I sprung for the package, and it has lasted me for years of projects.

Aug 7, 2018
B&G package. It came with a plastic airmar. I am working fairing right now. Going well, I think I have it figured out. Needs to dry overnight then light sanding to "flatten everthing' Thanks!

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
G20 for spacers is popular forum exaggeration in my experience, perhaps even myth. You simply don't need the ultra high density unless you are machining it.

Structural fiberglass Sheet will still be stronger than the hull for 1/2 the price (https://www.mcmaster.com/fiberglass-sheets) 8537k75

Thickened epoxy, of course.