FY2000 H380 Run Away AC Temperature

Apr 21, 2015
Hunter 380 Deale, MD
I have a FY2000 Hunter 380 with the standard Marine Air Systems AC unit model number VCP16K. It has the Passport II control module. The problem is the measured temperature runs up when the AC is running. It starts at about 80 deg and slowly runs up to 120 degs. Because the measured temperature is so high, the AC never turns off in the summer and I can not get the heat to turn on in the fall. Having found and read a couple of manuals online, it seems the temperature sensor is in the control module.

Has anyone seen this problem before? Any thoughts on replacing the control module to solve the problem? Any other good ideas?

Thanks!

Jun 15, 2012
BAVARIA C57 Greenport, NY
If you have another Passport display that works, I would first try exchanging the display to see if that is the problem. The display in my salon was unable to adjust the temperature. I connected a spare display which solved the problem. The displays are easy to remove with just a credit card acting as a wedge as they are just held on by double stick tape.

Dec 14, 2018
Ericson/ Hunter Ericson 29 / Hunter 376 Pensacola, FL
I just replaced the display and control board on my 376 the pasport II control board was bad, would not turn on compressor or water pump. The display is good. It is hard to find the passport II parts, I had to buy the universal board and replacement display. I paid just under $500 for the two parts from yachtaid, good service but their English is not the best.

I would sell my display if it would work for yours. At least you can cool the boat.
Sending contact info on private message

Randy

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2011
Hunter 410 full time cruiser
I have a FY2000 Hunter 380 with the standard Marine Air Systems AC unit model number VCP16K. It has the Passport II control module. The problem is the measured temperature runs up when the AC is running. It starts at about 80 deg and slowly runs up to 120 degs. Because the measured temperature is so high, the AC never turns off in the summer and I can not get the heat to turn on in the fall. Having found and read a couple of manuals online, it seems the temperature sensor is in the control module.

Has anyone seen this problem before? Any thoughts on replacing the control module to solve the problem? Any other good ideas?

Thanks!
clean real good around the control panel to be sure nothing is blocking the sensor

senang

Oct 21, 2009
hunter 38 Monaco
On my HM 38 of 2005 the sensor is in the incoming flow of the AC unit. It was attached to the cold metal of the AC unit and thus gave incorrect temp information because of thermal conductivity. It is now detached and srewed into a piece of wood to eliminate thermal transfer.