Furling line marking

Jan 8, 2015
MacGregor 26S, Goman Express 30 Kerr Reservoir
After switching from my previous boat that had hanked on headsails to my current boat with a 150% furling headsail, I frequently get it pulled out too far when initially setting up for higher winds. This got me to thinking about marking the furling line with markers at something like 85%, 100%, and 135%. But then I also miss the telltales when the sail is not all the way out. I am thinking about installing telltales at the aforementioned partially furled points. I don't know of anyone else that has done this so this makes me wonder if it would accomplish my goal. Anybody have an opinion that might save me a lot of useless effort?

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Take a close look at your head sail. A lot of sail makers put marks on the sail at common points, like 135% and 110%. It may be just a round dot or a stripe. There are red vertical stripes on the foot of my headsail that show common reefing points. The tell tales are located above them.

While the stripes are there for guidance, the sail can be reefed in between the marks. The marks are just a reference point.

IMG_0928.jpg

Edit: If I had towable genoa cars the upper and lower tell tales would be flowing evenly. The cars need to come back a bit. :waycool:

Jan 8, 2015
MacGregor 26S, Goman Express 30 Kerr Reservoir
Dave, I like the idea of the red vertical stripes attached to the foot of your headsail. How are they attached? Is this something I can add to my sail myself?

Nov 13, 2013
Catalina 34 Tacoma
I would wonder if the tell tails would provide meaningful indication of airflow. I have a 150 jib on a furling also. I can tell you as the jib is reefed, you now have a large leading edge that affects sail performance significantly. Unlike the main sail, the jib does not have set reefing points. It can be reefed anywhere you chose. I reef until the sail is performing the way I want. Don't really care what percent it's at.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Dave, I like the idea of the red vertical stripes attached to the foot of your headsail. How are they attached? Is this something I can add to my sail myself?
The sail is put away for the winter so I can't check. I'm pretty certain they lightweight webbing and sewn on. A broad tip Sharpie would work well too.

I would wonder if the tell tails would provide meaningful indication of airflow.
It will be better than no indication. Probably depends on point of sail and how much the airflow has been disturbed.

Ted

Jan 26, 2005
C&C 110 Bay Shore, Long Island, NY
I doubt that you'll be happy with shape of a 150% headsail reefed down to an 85%. A reduction to about 125% would be the smallest size and still have an okay shape for cruising. You can mark your reef points on the sail using sail insignia cloth with an adhesive back. It comes in a multitude of colors. It's pretty durable and you can cut the cloth to any size and shape you desire. Some sailmakers put reef reinforcing points at specific points along the foot to strengthen the new tack point when the sail is reefed. There is less chance for permanently damaging a sail when these reinforced patches are installed.

Last edited: