Furling Foresail

Mar 1, 2016
Oday 28 Tracy's Landing
I have a 1984 O’Day 28 with a jib furler. It seems a bit odd to my repair shop and to me in that the furling spoil is not directly on the bow. Rather, it is some 12 – 18 inches higher and connected with 2 flat metal extension pieces (with holes). See the photo. The nice thing about this is that it raises the rig up high enough that the skipper at the helm can easily see under the jenny when it is furled out completely. The downside is that these 2 pieces seem to show some stress as you can see from the photo they have flexed over the decades of use and potentially could be weakened as a consequence.

Was this the standard ODay 28 rig in 1984? Does anyone else have this setup? Do you think it is something I need to take action to replace and not risk failure at an inopportune time? Those same extension “rods” are also welded to the bow mounted anchor roller. I need to replace that to accommodate a larger (22 lb plow) anchor. How do I do that if its all one piece?
Screen Shot 2016-05-04 at 2.28.29 PM.png

Aug 3, 2012
Performance Cruising Telstar 28 302 Watkins Glen
Yikes! That looks like a bit of a kluge. I bet the foil or forestay was repaired or came from another boat and "rigged" (no real rigger would do this) to fit. I would not want to test it too hard. I would fix it: get the proper length forestay and another foil section and remove the extension.

Pat

Jun 7, 2004
Oday 272LE Ninnescah Yacht Club, Wichita, Ks.
No, that is not the standard for the O'Day 28..one of my favorite boats....We have one just two slips away and use to sail on it
often....The stock from the factory as far as I know was a hood single line system.....but wtihout seeing the brochure, I cannot say for sure....One thing I am sure of is what is pictured is not the standard.....had to be jury-rigged at some time... (no pun intended). You can call D & R Marine in Assonet, Massachusetts and talk to Rudy Nickerson (owner and former O'Day parts supervisor) and I'll bet he can be of service to you as well as answering any questions you may have....Pat

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
They're called "tangs" .. A chainplate is a kind of tang. If you need a new bow roller, you're going to have to cut off the existing extensions then re attach with a toggle/clevis pin device.... similar to how your shrouds are attached to the chainplates. If you want to replace the old tangs you need to have an idea of how you will attach the new ones to the furler. You'll have to investigate more closely and post more pictures if you want some real help here. Rigging companies will be able to help you... as will RF manufacturers....

BTW... most furling unit manufacturers offer buyers various length tang extensions depending on how high they want the drum and sail above the deck. It is very common for cruising vessels to raise the furler off the deck to accommodate better vision and easier ground tackle handling.

Mar 1, 2016
Oday 28 Tracy's Landing
Thanks. Very helpful to understand this better. The vision improvement is great. Sounds like new tangs may make sense. I understand the shackling to the furler spoil. What is harder to understand is how the tang attach to the new bow roller. I assume that is via welding the way the boat currently is outfitted or is there another preferred option?

Jul 5, 2011
Oday 28 Madison, CT
I agree. That is jury rig and needs a correct tang. There is some advantage to raising the jib mounting point (and maybe more for a Genoa) to avoid conflict with the bow pulpit in certain sail sets. Not sure if a furler was even standard on these boats. I am second owner on mine and it had a CDI system which was hard to furl in high winds, so I went for a Schaeffer System with nice bearings...end of issue.

Aug 3, 2012
if you look at Odaydokay's set up, you have the same chainplate welded into your anchor roller and bolted to the leading edge of the bow. His is attached to what looks like a 3/16 x 1 1/2 stainless steel bar that extends from the chainplate to the base of the furler. Yours seems to have had that bar replaced with straps. Perhaps your straps are pinned to the chainplate? Your straps seem to have some bends in them? If so, that cannot be good. I would want to replace them with 3/16 stainless bar that gets pinned or bolted to the chainplate.

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2016
Oday 28 Tracy's Landing
Looking at new furlers... I see Harken, Schaeffer and CDI so far. Any thoughts on the right one?

Aug 3, 2012
I have a new CDI with ball bearings on my 272. Works fine. My friend has a Schaeffer, and it is nicer, but more money.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Besides the shackle arrangement, what's wrong the one you have? What are you looking for in a new one?

Mar 1, 2016
Oday 28 Tracy's Landing
I was thinking the ball bearing may make it easier to reel in. Also I have a single line system that means a lot of coiled line in the cockpit. I used to have an ODay 25 with a continuous loop line setup that did not have all that bitter end to coil in the cockpit. On the other hand, other costs on the boat are skyrocketing and here is a way to save some money so maybe I should stick with it.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
I would keep it if it works. Just make sure that connection is secure. I have a Hood with continuous line and I'm fine with it. Other sailors seem to want to get rid of them. I had a CDI on my Mac.

Aug 3, 2012
I have purchased and installed several CDI furlers. I have no complaints. Both of mine were the ball bearing models. They work well. I sail partially furled quite often, and the sail shape remains good. The admiral does not like to heel, so I let her furl to keep the boat on its feet. She is smart that way.
One caveat with the CDI: you must have a toggle at the top of your forestay. Otherwise, your forestay will get bent and could eventually break.