Furlex 304S problem?

Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
I am having to take a lot of strain on the furling line to furl my genoa, more so than in the past.

I found that the furling line had a lot of twist to it and took the twist out. When doing so, I found that the furlex drum (the whole thing) would rotate when I grabbed it and rotated it by hand. See video below. This doesn't seem right but I can't find anything in the manual that says it should or should not rotate. For those with this type of furler, should it rotate or is some kind of shear pin sheared? Any help would be appreciated or if you've a good person or number to call at Sheldon to find out that would be great.

Attachments

Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
Here is the number for their office in North Charleston, SC. Great people (843) 760-6278
Thanks, I called them and sent them the video. Diego looked at the video and thinks it is most likely the guard that is rotating independent of the drum. When I rotate the guard with my hand it also rotates the drum but since the drum and foil move in unison, its probably just the guard that is loose. There is a screw on the bottom that is supposed to stop that and maybe its backed out.

Aug 28, 2006
Bavaria 35E seattle
I would definitely focus on the bottom screw. I had a similar issue and it stemmed from that.

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
I had a similar problem on the furlex on my Hunter 386 and discovered a screw had backed out so had to source a new torex head screw through a Selden dealer. In case you do not have the manual I am attaching for reference. Good luck!!

Attachments

Aug 28, 2006
Bavaria 35E seattle
I'd say neither for now. I'll be at the boat either tomorrow or over the weekend and will take a closer look and a picture.