Funny Friday!!!

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Finding something I think id funny... Friday feel like to far away to enjoy...

Here goes.... Reported to me as a true story. :laugh:

Last summer, down on Lake Isabella, located in the high desert, an hour east of Bakersfield, CA, some folks, new to boating, were having a problem. No matter how hard they tried, they couldn't get their brand new 22 foot boat, going. It was very sluggish in almost every maneuver, no matter how much power they applied. After about an hour of trying to make it go, they putted into a nearby marina, thinking someone there may be able to tell them what was wrong. A thorough topside check revealed everything in perfect working condition. The engine ran fine, the out-drive went up and down, and the propeller was the correct size and pitch. So, one of the marina guys jumped in the water to check underneath. He came up choking on water, he was laughing so hard. Under the boat, still strapped securely in place, was the trailer!

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
That's why we should make the effort to keep our bodies of water clean. How polluted was the water that one can't see the wheel wells of a trailer with just a casual glance over the side?

Imagine how hard it is to avoid giant squid coming up under your boat when you can't see them through the murky polluted water until it is too late. :yikes:

-Will

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
My immediate reaction didn't even involve looking over the side - I focused on "still strapped securely in place", which is in direct opposition to "a thorough topside check". Maybe it's the pilot in me, but 'what the heck are these straps running across the boat' is kind of a no-brainer. On the other hand, it does make for a cute 'story'.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
It maybe a true story it maybe made up... But there is a certain linguistic symmetry about the explanation, that I like.

Is it "complete", "finished", or "completely finished”?
No English dictionary has been able to adequately explain the difference between these two words - "Complete" or “Finished"

In a recent linguistic competition held in London and attended by, supposedly, the best in the world, Samdar Balgobin, a Guyanese man, was the clear winner with a standing ovation which lasted over 5 minutes.

The final question was: 'How do you explain the difference between COMPLETE and FINISHED in a way that is easy to understand? Some people say there is no difference between COMPLETE and FINISHED.’

Here is his astute answer:

"When you marry the right woman, you are COMPLETE. When you marry the wrong woman, you are FINISHED. And when the right one catches you with the wrong one, you are COMPLETELY FINISHED!”