Fun with VHF/UHF part 2

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
Here is part two of my fun with VHF/UHF antennas. Reminder that this is not boating related.

antenna 1.jpg

Here I am trying to work Saudisat 1C (SO-50). The downlink is in the UHF band (small antenna) and the uplink VHF (larger antenna). Here is a close up...
antenna 2.jpg

The issues I had were the VHF antenna (large elements) would not sit stabilized in the boom and would keep falling backwards. You can see the left element leaning backwards. Cause was the weight of the element and the thin wall of the PVC tube. I even filled the tube with plastic epoxy resin but that did not work. Also had trouble keeping good electrical contact with the elements. I ordered some large crimp ring connectors to solve that. Back to the drawing board.

So the results were I could hear SO-50 but not work it. Not enough gain. But that is being solved right now. Building a new 3el VHF by 5el UHF antenna. Should be done by next week.

More to follow.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
So it was like the first sputnik pass. You could hear it beeping at you, you could see it blinking at you, but could not give it the single finger salute?

May 10, 2004
Hunter 340 Bremerton, WA up from Woodland
Nice work, Brian. Enjoying following the progression of your developments - they embody the true ham spirit.
Jssailem - there's no room for hateful politics in our radio forum, take it to the war room if it still exists.