Fuel Tank Access

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimLor

Nov 21, 2011
Pearson Pearson 28-2 Deale, MD
1986 Pearson 28-2. Diesel, alum fuel tank under quarterberth.

While doing some engine work guys discovered I was getting water in the fuel-water separator (I know, that's what it's for) - water was evident immediately after draining the sump so determined there is water in the tank. I'm a new owner with zero maintenance records so it sounds reasonable to me.

In an attempt to drain the water, I ran 7' of plastic hose down the filler neck until I couldn't go any farther - resistance. In fact the hose never reached fuel and came back dry each time - pumping produced nothing.

So, my fuel gauge sits on top of the tank (float type). I reckon I can remove and stick my hose (clear plastic hose to be precise) into the tank and pump the water out.

Guess I'm really asking is there another way or has someone else done this and it works great, or you blew up your boat!
Thanks.
Jim

Ariel

Feb 1, 2006
Pearson 36-2 Houston, TX / Rock Hall, MD
Jim,

I did what you propose, removed the fuel gauge, and pumped the fuel out to clean the tank.

We have a 22 gallon tank on our 36--2 and it has a baffel in the middle. There is no way to get to the other side except by removing the fill hose. That opening is to small to be effective in cleaning so we were only able to clean half of the tank. Your tank may be smaller and without the baffel. There is no "sump" under the pick up tube on our tank to collect water and debris and I suspect yours is the same but you should check for that.

The deisel fumes will not explode so don't worry about opening the tank or removing the fuel. Just don't tempt fate and strike a match to get light in the tank.

Where are you in Deale? We sail by there often and have thought of stopping in.

JimLor

Nov 21, 2011
Ariel,
Thanks for the reply, our tank is ~16 gal and I hope would also have a baffle. I'll just do my best in getting the water out - have no idea how much or how long it's been in there. I've looked at additives but not knowing how much water is in there I don't know how effective they would be. I do use Stablil.

We are at Herrington Harbour North Marina right off of Deale Rd. To be honest, the HH South Marine is much easier to get to. To get to the north marina we have to drive around some shoals and head north, probably about 20 - 30 minute sail.

Thanks again!

Nov 26, 2010
Pearson 30 S.E. Michigan
We have a similar problem with our little powerboat. We haven't used her much and I wanted to pump out her fuel and use it elsewhere, before it phase-separated on us. Place we have her winterized said we wouldn't be able to get a syphon down the fill tube and the thing to do was simply hook an electric fuel pump to the regular fuel line.

You have it even easier than I: Just try to buy a high-ish volume electric fuel pump rated for gasoline. Diesel pumps like that are a dime a dozen.

Jim

JimLor

Nov 21, 2011
Good but, the fuel pickup is up off of the bottom, so in my case icould pump it dry and all that would be left is the water!

Nov 26, 2010
Pearson 30 S.E. Michigan
Good but, the fuel pickup is up off of the bottom, so in my case icould pump it dry and all that would be left is the water!
Say what?

If you attached a fuel pump to the fuel line and pumped the tank out, you'd pump out the water, too.

Jim

JimLor

Nov 21, 2011
Well i certainly can be wrong, but i was told the fuel pickup is a bit off of the bottom of the tank. So even usinf the fuel line to pump the fuel would leave some in the tank. Since water is heavier, the water would be what is left. Am i wrong?

Nov 26, 2010
Pearson 30 S.E. Michigan
Well i certainly can be wrong, but i was told the fuel pickup is a bit off of the bottom of the tank. So even usinf the fuel line to pump the fuel would leave some in the tank. Since water is heavier, the water would be what is left. Am i wrong?
Ah. Ok. I misunderstood what you had written. My fault.

I suppose you're right. I guess I've nothing useful to add.

Jim

JimLor

Nov 21, 2011
I unscrewed the actual gauge and found a smooth cap underneath! I thought i would find a hole. The gauge structure is held in with 6 hex bolts and guess what I left at home? Next time.

I did remove the plywood covering the tank and found the data plate. While thw Pearson 28 info says it is a 16 gallon tank, it is actually 14.5! No clean-out port on top. Live and learn.

JimLor

Nov 21, 2011
Quick update - still haven't gotten into the tank! brought the wrong size wrench - I might even change my attach and remove the filler tube from the tank and go in that way - or maybe the line to the engine. I'll figure it out sooner of later.

Jul 6, 2010
pearson 28.2 roundout Hudson
Hi, Jim
I’m, Roger, I have the same boat (86 Pearson 28.2) I’ve had the boat now for there years bought it at an auction, for the storage fees it had been abandoned for five years. Then I found it, the rudder was missing, no main sail, the glass on the keel had broken off and pealing away. I really like the Pearson line and the 28 is a very comfortable pocket cruiser.
Anyway, one of the chores was to drain and clean the fuel tank I found the best way was to remove the fuel gauge, pump the fuel out using a diaphragm pump. Then I pumped clean fuel into the tank in the same method; the fuel under pressure broke up the sludge on the bottom of the tank. I repeated this until the fuel came back clean.
With the Yanmar 2gm20f, I don’t use much fuel and I like to keep it full. It wasn’t tell my first long voyage (300 miles, Kingston N.Y. to Falmouth Cape Cod) I found that when the fuel got to half tank the engine sputtered to a stop, finished the trip by keeping two plastic fuel cans strapped to the bow pulpit. This spring I plan to cut an eight-inch inspection hole in the top of the tank. I think the fuel pick-up may have a hole half way down, once the fuel falls below that hole I get air in the line and kill the engine.
If you have any interest in the progress, let me know other wise I’m just talking to myself out loud.
Thanks, Roger

Ariel

Feb 1, 2006
Pearson 36-2 Houston, TX / Rock Hall, MD
Roger,

The pick up tube on my P36-2 fuel tank is removable. I believe Pearson used the same manufacturer for all the tanks at that time, so check the fitting at the top of the tank and see if it can be removed after the fuel line to the engine is disconnected. This could save you lots of work.

Dave
s/v ARIEL

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
The company that made these tanks is still in business and they have all the actual tank specs. I priced an identical tank at around 450 if I remember correctly. If you call them with all the numbers off the identification plate they can answer all questions... Seemed very pleasant. Google search them.... they were in fla however are now in north carolina. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.