Fuel pick up tube

Dec 2, 2003
Hunter 34 Forked River, NJ
Has anyone removed the fuel pick up tube and valve? I need to find if there is a screen on the tube, or if I have some type of blockage. Does it just unscrew from the tank?
My engine starves for fuel, then stops.
I have an electric pump in line, and when I turn it on the engine starts without bleeding air from the fuel filters.
I have changed both my Racor and the second filter on the engine, also changed the engine mounted lift pump.
My next attacks are the fuel vent, valve and tube, along with new fuel lines.
The boat is a 1984 Hunter 34.

Aug 17, 2010
Hunter 410 Dover NH
Has anyone removed the fuel pick up tube and valve? I need to find if there is a screen on the tube, or if I have some type of blockage. Does it just unscrew from the tank?
My engine starves for fuel, then stops.
I have an electric pump in line, and when I turn it on the engine starts without bleeding air from the fuel filters.
I have changed both my Racor and the second filter on the engine, also changed the engine mounted lift pump.
My next attacks are the fuel vent, valve and tube, along with new fuel lines.
The boat is a 1984 Hunter 34.
I had a Hunter 340 that had a screen at the end of the pick up tube. I removed it and that solved my fuel starvation issues. On my 410 I had a similar problem but it was in the elbow at the Racor filter. See the thread here: https://forums.sailboatowners.com/index.php?threads/410-fuel-tank-question.180327/#post-1312725

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Sounds like your running down the correct path. Did the filters show dirt of what is often identified as “coffee grounds”?
21F5FB47-7160-42B6-8736-19AA281DEC45.jpeg
Here is a clogged filter.

You may also find clogs in the fuel lines especially at right angle junctions.

A picture of the tank top showing your pickup tube would help. If you cannot get it out try to clear the pick up tube by blowing air into the tube to force and gunk out of the tube and away from the screen. If that works, you may be in need of a tank cleaning. Or at least additive to dissolve the goo in the tank.

Apr 22, 2011
Hunter 27 Pecan Grove, Oriental, NC
20150817_114213.jpg
I removed the screen on the pickup tube on my 1984 H27, which is probably similar to your 34. This photo shows the top of the tank with the fuel gauge in the foreground and the fuel pickup between the fuel return line on the left and the fuel filler hose on the right. As I recall, I first removed the rubber fuel hose and then unscrewed the fitting from the nylon nut that is welded to the top of the plastic tank. There was barely enough room to bring the tube and fitting out because of the restricted height of the cabinet. When I got the tube out and and could not find the screen, I assumed that the po had removed it. On further inspection, I found the screen up inside the small tube. Drug it out with a dental pick. My Racor 500 is now the first line of defense against crud in the tank. I have also replaced the fuel gauge with an electronic one. Amazingly it is made by the same company as the original and nuts and gaskets all fit!!

Dec 2, 2003
Hunter 34 Forked River, NJ
I removed the fuel pick up tube, did find that the screen was mostly blocked, the marina mechanic cleaned the tube for me in his parts washer, I re assembled, and all seems good. I own the boat for 29 years, this was the first time the tube was removed!

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
the screen was mostly blocked,
Sometimes it’s the simple things.
The screw is really not needed. If not there then the stuff that inhabits the fuel system will find its way to the filter. Become more visible and easier to dispose.
At least that has been my experience.

nfg2u

Feb 13, 2016
Hunter Legend 35.5 Fort Pierce
I removed the pickup tube and removed the screen that was clogged. I also installed a vacuum gauge inline after my primary filter. Now I can see what the vacuum pressure is on the engine side so I have a very good idea when the filter needs to be changed or there is any blockage from the tank.