410 fuel tank question?

Aug 17, 2010
Hunter 410 Dover NH
Does anyone know if the 410 has a pick up screen on the end of the fuel pick up stand pipe? I had a 340 and it had a screen that gave me problems. I'm having what seem like fuel related issues but the racor filter looks fine.

Thanks

Jan 12, 2011
Hunter 410 full time cruiser
I don't know if there is screen. But just because the clear bowl on the racor looks good doesn't mean the filter isn't clogged up.

Aug 17, 2010
Hunter 410 Dover NH
Replaced both filters yesterday, still have the issue. Next I'm going to have to pull out the pickup tube. This looks like it could be a long road to resolution.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Scott. If you are going at it why not make the Racor tell you when the filter needs to be changed rather than make you guess. Install a Vacuum Gauge on the outlet side of the filter. If the vacuum level goes up your filter is clogged. (cost less than $25)

Cleaning a pickup tube is relatively easy. Remove fuel line from the tube on top of the tank. Unscrew the tube from the tank. and clean or attach a small hand pump to the tube top and blow air into the tank through the tube.
In my case I just closed the tank with the pickup tube clog and the fuel falling back into the tank cleared the tank tube. Then I opened the valve and surprise the fuel flowed.

Aug 17, 2010
Hunter 410 Dover NH
Scott. If you are going at it why not make the Racor tell you when the filter needs to be changed rather than make you guess. Install a Vacuum Gauge on the outlet side of the filter. If the vacuum level goes up your filter is clogged. (cost less than $25)

Cleaning a pickup tube is relatively easy. Remove fuel line from the tube on top of the tank. Unscrew the tube from the tank. and clean or attach a small hand pump to the tube top and blow air into the tank through the tube.
In my case I just closed the tank with the pickup tube clog and the fuel falling back into the tank cleared the tank tube. Then I opened the valve and surprise the fuel flowed.
John I have been saying I was going to do that for years. You're right now is the time. Where did you get the gauge?

Oct 22, 2014
I used a Wholesale Industrial & Hydraulic Hoses retailer. They sell fittings to diesel repair service shops. They sold me the tee fitting, the gauge, and the fitting to my fuel line.

After I fitted the system for my boat, I found the same function but at a lower cost for my friends boat. West Marine had the male 3/4 adapter for the Racor filter with a female 1/4 in npt side. The we bought the tee with 1/4 male to the WM adapter, a female 1/4 for the gauge, and a female 1/4 npt end for the 1/4 male npt fitting to connect the fuel line.

I used a soft sealing pipe thread sealant on the threaded ends to help seal the connections. For my friend the costs were less than $30.00. Gauge and tee fitting. Get the gauge that has fluid in the gauge. It will dampen the needle movement so you can read the gauge.

Hope this helps.

Aug 17, 2010
Hunter 410 Dover NH
UPDATE: Took the pick up tube out of the tank tonight. Found plastic like debris between the aluminum tank withdrawal fitting and the fuel shut off valve. That along with other small pieces of debris were unable to move forward in te line nor drop back into the tank. Crunched the fitting getting it out so I need a new fitting but I think that will solve my issue... Fingers crossed.

Attachments

Jan 12, 2011
Hunter 410 full time cruiser
You haven't said what it is doing. I've read of pump related problems with the some of the Yanmars and the answer for that was an electric fuel pump sometimes. Also a lost of power problem under high loads may seem a fuel problem, but could be an exhaust problem or a prop problem.

Aug 17, 2010
Hunter 410 Dover NH
Good point Don.... It was losing power, "rolling back" If I had 2400 rpm set it would go back to roughly 2000 sporadically, it would stay there for 15-20 seconds then go back to the set rpm. 3000 would result in about 1500 rpm. I was/is intermittent with no change in exhaust color and was running smoothly at the lower rpm when it rolled back.

UPDATE:

I planned on adding the racor T-handle vacuum gauge, but found it would not fit in the engine compartment without relocating the Racor, in order to do that I would need to do some carpentry. So I decided to just plumb it in on the side of the Racor. While I was in there and had the racor drained I thought I would add a shut off valve on the other side.
When I took the fuel line off of the tank side of the racor no fuel came out. I had drained a little fuel out so I was puzzled but not overly so. When I got the fitting off it looked like it was plugged. I tried to blow through it, I could barely get air to pass through it. I dug out the blockage and found more plastic from what I believe is original assembly along with the normal diesel crap. This explains why in the 14 years I've owned the boat the racor has never been dirty. It has been filtering in the fuel line. I reassembled with all of the new fittings and it so far runs fine. I believe the problem is solved. I now will be able to tell if there is a similar issue thanks to the gauge. Now I need to go move the coolant overflow tank over 1/2 an inch...

UPDATE:
Put about 7 hours on the engine this weekend issue is resolved. Thanks all for the ideas!

Attachments

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2010
Hunter 410 Dover NH
Plastic shavings from the install of the tank fittings is my thought. Then it's got the normal diesel slime on it.

Oct 22, 2014
Fuel bugs or shavings from previous repairs. They are evil to make our boat ownership a challenge.

Aug 17, 2010
Hunter 410 Dover NH
Fuel bugs or shavings from previous repairs. They are evil to make our boat ownership a challenge.
I really think they are from the original fit up. They've just accumulated over the last 18 years. I've owned the boat for 15 and there have never been repairs related to the tank that I recall. Thanks to you though I finally took the time to install the gauge and valve. It will be a better diag experience if it happens again! Thanks!