Frustrated (clarifying things)

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

John

My apologies guys...here is a break down. Surveyor's Fee: $324.00 Haul Out Fee : $135.00 The boat required a pressure wash : $ 75.00 I have to add this to be fair to myself. That days lost wages............................................................................: $ 88.00 --------------- Total: $622.00 Now, to clear something up someone said. I have asked 3 yards about the cost to repairing the blisters on the boat. All that do sandblasting say roughly $2100.00 for hauling out, blocking up, pressure washed, sandblasting, epoxy (4 coats), paint (2 coats) Interlux 2000/2001. Then there is dry storage time because of the number of blisters. The yards tell me judging from what I have told them the blisters are like, they estimate 3 months dry storage minimum at $165.00 a month. Then there is the hours put in fixing the hundreds of blisters. 40 or a little more of 1" to 11/2 " size. Hundreds of smaller ones, and 5 or 6 blisters that have recessed inward. The yard labor for fixing those is $65.00 an hour. All three yards estimated $3,500.00 (minimum) to more likely $4,500.00 for the total cost of everything. I did not think to ask for maintenance reciepts, I know now. I was told by the owner that the last haul out was in October of 99. He reported to me when I asked about blisters that there were only 2 or 3 and that they could bairly find them. The surveyor I had came very highly recommended from many people that had used him before and also some yards that I contacted for recommendations for a surveyor. In this area ( Sarasota Florida) I only had the one yard to choose from and it was by boat 2 hours away. I'm not sure I want to wait around 3 or 4 or even up to 6 months to dry out.The yards have informed me that is is very common here in Florida. I would have to have a air tight contract drawn up with the buyer on this boat if we negotiated him paying some of the blister repair. I DON'T trust him. Plus with the cost of some other repairs, I'm not sure this boat is worth the trouble. Seems kind of funny to get a boat and have to put it up on blocks for a half a year and not be able to use it. Should I walk away? I'm pondering. What do you think? Thanks guys a bunch for your input!!

R

Ron

I'd keep looking...

Just as there are many fish in the sea there are more boats on it too! Unless you can get a great bargain to keep the boat in market value. I would pass and keep looking. After recently purchasing my boat 3 months ago, I have found 3 others that are also a great deal. Good luck skipper...

J

Jim

WALK AWAY

Walk away, Do your self a big favor and look for another boat. Unless you have the time to fix the blisters your self it's just not worth the lost wages and agravation. To be honest it's not a hard job to do, but it is very time consuming. Try going to this web site to search for some other options, www.soundingspub.com Also, a good surveyer will always have you ask many questions before he will have you hual the boat into the sling. Best of luck to ya and remember to always keep looking around at as many boats as you can. This way you learn what to look for and find other options . Jim Jim

L

LaDonna Bubak - Planet Catalina

Keep looking

As was mentioned by Jim, unless you can get an exceptional deal on this boat, don't bother. There are too many C27s out there to get an ulcer over this one. I looked at about 20 before I found mine and they were all different, from cost to condition. I met a guy this summer who just bought one for $1000 & it wasn't in bad shape at all!!! Good luck LaDonna

S

Steve W

run from this one...

John, the $600+ you just spent is money well spent...the effort just saved you a huge longterm headache. There are plenty of better boats out there for sale, just keep looking. One of the things I did was take my snorkling gear and some gloves and dive on the boats I was interested in to feel around and look for blisters. If the water was too cold, I hired a diver who normally cleans bottoms to check it out, usually charged $50.00. It really paid off becasue the 1986 Newport I eventuallybought in Jacksonville had no blisters and after a year, we still haven't had any come up. The boat you found may be blister prone and it could be a constant problem for as long as y0u own the boat. Someday you will want to sell her, and all that bottom work would scare away many potential buyers. Patience pays off. It took me two years to find this boat. Good Luck!

G

Gary Jensen

easy decision

Lets see, 6 months on the hard!!!!!"NO SAILING" for six months???? Walk away

Status
Not open for further replies.