Fresh water pressurization time lapse

Dec 1, 2020
CAL 27 Illahee / Brownsville WA
Our boat has a PO fresh pressurized system that seems kludged together. The '77 Cal has solid copper water supply lines for the most part. The tank, pump and pressurization home-made looking 'accumulator tank' are under the v-berth and a variety of tee's and valves in this area. It's a confusing mess. Then there is an old water heater (square ss looking box) in the stern behind the dead diesel which I assume had cooling water heat-exchangers plus the still working A/C system. I'm guessing this is a 6 gal type system, but have not spotted any labels. The 9.9 Honda on the stern is all the power a 27' sailboat needs.

The pump is not loud when running, but takes forever (5+ minutes) to pressurize the system. Is this strange?

Do others use the variable speed multi chamber pumps to feed the sinks directly?

Dec 28, 2015
Laser, Hunter H30 Cherubini Tacoma
I'd guess it has air trapped in the system that keeps the pump running along with the filling of the pressure tank, you are experiencing the extended run time. Try bleeding all the air out of the system then see what the run time is.

Dec 1, 2020
CAL 27 Illahee / Brownsville WA
MikeH - is bleeding as simple as opening the hot/cold taps in both sinks?

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
My pressurized system is a simple pump model in my Cal, such as this one.
1625589489186.png

In 74, they used polyvinyl lines to carry water about the boat, not copper. I installed a commonly found accumulator to better manage the pressure and reduce pump operating time. This has been moderately successful. The pump runs less if we don't open the sink valve wide open.

The boat came with an installed Seaward 11 gallon water heater that appeared to be a budget brand unit. Marginal insulation. Galvanized tanks. Rusting stainless sheet metal covering. I removed it the first year in use and replaced with a 6 gallon well insulated water heater with a fast recovery element and utilizes heating form the engine.

It is not intended to take long hot showers all night.

Dec 28, 2015
Laser, Hunter H30 Cherubini Tacoma
run water at the highest point in the system. I'd also look at the hot water tank. Since it isn't in operation (assuming it is not run off of 120volt) I'd try to isolate it from the system as close to the pump as you can. This will eliminate leak potential and reduce air in the system.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
is bleeding as simple as opening the hot/cold taps in both sinks
Air rises in the system. You need to open taps and push the air out, preferably opening the lines near the air bubble. It helped to get someone to to stand on the gunnel, grab the shroud and lean back rocking the boat to help dislodge any persistent bubbles.

Jul 5, 2011
Oday 28 Madison, CT
If you have a filter just before the water pump, have a good look at it. Could be the little rubber gasket is going and cannot build up full pressure. Have a look at the filter screen itself of course.