Forum transition scheduled for Tuesday, 8/13. Here's what that means.

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
Nope. I'm going with the Tandy cassette tape player drive. More compact.
Ooooohhhhhhhh... TRaSh-80. Best computer ever made, next to the Commodore VIC20. Even better, the Sinclair ZX Spectrum. Whoot!

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Only reason we needed the paper tape was if the computer crashed. Then we’d shutdown and boot strap the start code to teach the bugger basic. Then we were back in business. Next batch of IBM cards. Pray there were no more hanging chads.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I saw that happen when the reader went gunny bags.

Brian you likely returned the cards to the programer.
“Don’t know what happened. Probably a misplaced variable. Better check your code.”

Then the pleading occurred.
“Please, please can you run it again. No, You know the rules. Three fails and we return them to the programer.
But but but. I got this paper due tomorrow. I know the code is solid. One more time. You like White Castle burgers, don’t you. Why don’t you give it one more run while I pick up a bag of burgers for you....

Well.....”

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
For those who have been stuck in an elevator for the past week, we have to upgrade our forum software to stay current with new security and other technology protocols.
I would think that anyone "stuck in an elevator" would be more concerned with cleaning the chaff out of their shorts than surfing a forum so we don't need to worry about them. :poke:

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
Ooooohhhhhhhh... TRaSh-80. Best computer ever made, next to the Commodore VIC20. Even better, the Sinclair ZX Spectrum. Whoot!
I had the Tandy. When I upgraded to an HP to use for email, I ask my brother what can I reuse the Tandy parts for. He said, "do you need another anchor for your boat?".

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
Actually old, and I mean really old, computers can still be used. Since most have BASIC as a programmable language, you can use them to control some timing functions in your home.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Apr 16, 2017
Federation NCC-1701 Riverside
c'mon man, dont shut it down. Spin up the Disaster Recovery servers and let us use those for a while. Jyst dont swap back to production afterwards. Let us post anything as it will be hosed down and disinfected afterwards

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
Will all past PMs be saved or should I copy them off?
Yes @Dan_Y, all data will be preserved. We ran the whole process as a test and it worked perfectly. But if anything does get screwed up we've got data backups to work with.