Forum transition scheduled for Tuesday, 8/13. Here's what that means.

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
For those who have been stuck in an elevator for the past week, we have to upgrade our forum software to stay current with new security and other technology protocols.

The date for the transition is Tuesday the 13th.

Here's what will happen:
  1. This forum will close late Monday night/Tuesday morning
  2. It will remain closed most or all of Tuesday
  3. IF the conversion looks like it will spill over into Wednesday, we will re-open the old board for a day to help you battle depression caused by lack of forums (forum clausae causatur tristitia)
  4. Either Tuesday or Wednesday, a shiny new forum with all the old content will rise from the ashes

I will be back with more info on the new forum to prepare everyone for the change.

May 1, 2011
Pearson 37 Lusby MD
Tks for the update, Phil. Looking forward to checking out what's under the hood! At least it's not Friday the 13th!! :beer::beer:

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
what's an elevator?
"It's a big building with patients, but that's not important right now."

This is an update of the same software we're using now, built by the same developers, so most all of it will feel familiar. There are a few changes but the basics -- reading and posting, replies, PMs, reporting posts, are the same.

If you use: the "All Forums, All Discussions" forum, that's still there but under a different name. The new posts function is so good that I think we will drop the old "Recent Threads and Posts (old style)" as the new setup works great and is way faster. Over the next couple days I'll post some screen shots.

Mar 20, 2011
Hunter 31_83-87 New Orleans
When will the app be available? I use the forum mostly on my ipad and phone. again thanks for making this the best sailing forum out there.

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
Won't be too long, maybe a week or two. The delay is getting Apple and Google to approve it for their app stores.

May 7, 2012
Hunter e33 Maple Bay, BC
For those who have been stuck in an elevator for the past week, we have to upgrade our forum software to stay current with new security and other technology protocols.

The date for the transition is Tuesday the 13th.

Here's what will happen:
  1. This forum will close late Monday night/Tuesday morning
  2. It will remain closed most or all of Tuesday
  3. IF the conversion looks like it will spill over into Wednesday, we will re-open the old board for a day to help you battle depression caused by lack of forums (forum clausae causatur tristitia)
  4. Either Tuesday or Wednesday, a shiny new forum with all the old content will rise from the ashes

I will be back with more info on the new forum to prepare everyone for the change.
5. Phil immediately starts his month long vacation.