Forum transition scheduled for Tuesday, 8/13. Here's what that means.

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
Enterprise expectations from a free public service?
Seriously?

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
c'mon man, dont shut it down. Spin up the Disaster Recovery servers and let us use those for a while. Jyst dont swap back to production afterwards. Let us post anything as it will be hosed down and disinfected afterwards
You know, I thought about doing more or less that. But unfortunately, version 2 installs right over version 1.5 and the time required to futz around with dns and data to run both is more than I have. Might be fun to put up a disposable phpBB board for a day though.

Apr 16, 2017
Federation NCC-1701 Riverside
What this really means...
Screenshot_20190809-005546.png

We will either be productive at work finally, or nervously scratching our arms and neck waiting for our next fix.

Good job, looking forward to the results of your craft.

Dan_Y

Oct 13, 2008
Hunter 36 Hampton
Enterprise expectations from a free public service?
Seriously?
Being inherently lazy about backups, I thought I would ask Phil first to save some time before backing up some great PMs with good advice and info. I have zero expectation about b/u services for any free site. I quit gmail after I realize they scan email to target adds. Thankfully Phil does not do that. But I do like the forum ads that are inserted into threads!

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
I quit gmail after I realize they scan email to target adds.
For the record, Google stopped using email scan data for ad targeting in 2017. They do still scan for security purposes (e.g. anti-spam), and optionally for some of their AI enabled features. Any other free email provider is probably pretty similar.

(With apologies for the thread drift)