Flux Compass Location?

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
On my 1998 total Raymarine OEM package, I am trying to find the physical location of the electronic compass.
This is the compass that the Autopilot uses to maintain a course.
I had 2 Raymarine technicians on board yesterday who were trying to find it. No success.
They told me it was normally installed away from the engine, motors for pumps, metal tanks, etc.
They described it as a black, baby pacifier shape/size, protruding sensor with wires connected to it.
On my Hunter 430, so far everything I need to adjust, maintain, or replace has had been in an accessible spot, albeit small or tight.

Looking for suggestions of where the compass might be located, without doing a wire trace. Is NOT near the Autopilot motor or control panel.:(

I suspect Hunter used a substantial close layout on their production boats.
Jim...

Jun 8, 2004
Catalina 320 Dana Point
Jim, On various boats I've found them in the bilge, behind salon cabinets, under settees in the salon, inside the transom, virtually anywhere an installers imagination may take him. The instruments are usually installed after the factory by the selling dealer so I don't believe there is ANY standardization.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Exactly, Ted.. for instance, I put mine away from engine and iron keel .. Ideal location is centerline and at the center of yaw, but most boats have iron stuff in that vicinity. Mine is off centerline about 3 feet and aft of the yaw center about 6 feet; under the aft bunk.. not optimum, but it works.. what I am getting at is that with something that small, a wire chasing investigation is going to be the quickestP7280992.JPG

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
On my 1998 total Raymarine OEM package, I am trying to find the physical location of the electronic compass.
This is the compass that the Autopilot uses to maintain a course.
I had 2 Raymarine technicians on board yesterday who were trying to find it. No success.
They told me it was normally installed away from the engine, motors for pumps, metal tanks, etc.
They described it as a black, baby pacifier shape/size, protruding sensor with wires connected to it.
On my Hunter 430, so far everything I need to adjust, maintain, or replace has had been in an accessible spot, albeit small or tight.

Looking for suggestions of where the compass might be located, without doing a wire trace. Is NOT near the Autopilot motor or control panel.:(

I suspect Hunter used a substantial close layout on their production boats.
Jim...
Mine is in a starboard cabinet of the vee-berth cabin; outboard-aft corner of the lower shelf. The biggest bundle of wires running fwd or aft from the battery bank run along the starboard side of my boat b/c that's the side where the batteries are installed. Which ever side of your boat has the batteries might be better the side to search thoroughly.
Bav38E.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
Just thinking out loud here. Turn on your AP, take an iron pipe and wave it around and into every recess you can.
Have someone watching the wheel or actuator for any sign of movement.
FWIW

Nov 6, 2006
Great idea, Justsomeguy ! Tape a strong magnet on the end of the pipe and wave it around lockers and cabinets! Gotta work !

DSqr

Feb 27, 2010
Hunter 376 Racine, WI
I found the flux compass on my 1998 H376 under the cabin sole, just behind the raw water inlet and ahead of the engine.

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Hi Jim, our boat model is very close to yours. Our fluxgate compass is in the aft cabin, port side beneath the dressing table. Hope this helps.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Kinda like a Easter Egg hunt.
Thanks all!
I bet @Terry Cox get the GOLDEN EGG!

The instruments are usually installed after the factory by the selling dealer so I don't believe there is ANY standardization.
I agree on that. But in given boat production near my size, the Dealers would revolt if they spent too much time installing. The OP put most options on the boat at Annapolis MD dealer. So the spots were reserved for "Stuff".

I wasn't in the mood to let $75/hr Techs trace the wire.:yikes: They had to come back next week anyway.

The magnet/pipe ideas were clever ( not cleaver)! I have this Megaphone for hailing that has a great magnet in it. I kept looking at the steering compass versus the flux bearing being much different.:confused: Then I saw the megaphone placed nearby the Richie steering compass.
I will report back where I find it.
Jim...

splax

Nov 12, 2012
Hunter 34 Portsmouth
Well, I had planned to install my fluxgate compass on the forward side of the lavatory bulkhead when it was pointed out to me that it should be installed .3-.5 x L, where L is the length from the rudder post forward to the hull entry at the waterline. That meant my compass was to be installed between the companionway hatch and the middle of the dinette table. I chose to put it as high and inboard as possible under the dinette bench seat on the galley sink bulkhead.

Feb 13, 2016
hunter 37.5 legend Milwuakee
Try looking behind the aft birth in the area of the fuel and waste tanks. Hint look up. Just spit balling here but, if techs were on the boat and could not find it maybe it is time to trace the wires. It may just save you hours in the long run.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Mine in the space under the gallery trash bin.
Now THAT is spot a I would not have looked!

We are spending all weekend doing the spring clean/to do's and am sure with all the suggestions I will find it!
I will report back for future reference.
BTW is am going to use the magnet/metal trick too.
Thanks again...
Jim...

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
I bet @Terry Cox get the GOLDEN EGG!
@Terry Cox You get the GOLDEN EGG! Even on Easter Weekend no less.

I found it in the Aft Cabin port side, berth headboard stowage. Right where the "dressing table" would be.:thumbup:

Like I mentioned earlier, the dealers would expect install it in about the same spot.;)

I was ready to trace with the magnetic/pipe detector.:waycool:
Thanks all.
Jim...

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Hi Jim, great. I've always wanted a golden egg. Worth a lot of money, so I hear. Sort of like the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. :dancing:

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Terry you may not want to get too excited. Jim is a boat owner. It may be one of those gold gilded eggs like the bars in the vaults of Fort Knox. All for show.

Nov 6, 2006
Good deal, James ! One would have to be careful about placement of metal stuff around there..?? Underwire garments, magnetically closed make-up bags.. etc?