Florida Red Tide

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
We just passed the one year anniversary of Governor Scott’s ‘seasonal’ red tide event and it looks like Snook are well on their way to disappearing along the Gulf coast. Nothing to see here, move along.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Very cold, cold snaps in Florida during winters are probably most responsible for reductions in population abundance of common snook along the Gulf coast. Snook is basically a warm water fish that likes subtropical mangrove habitats. It may take a population many years to rebound following a big reduction.

FYI, Florida administrations have the benefit of an excellent marine research facility (Florida Marine Research Institute) in St. Petersburg that was first established decades ago to study red tide. It does not change its scientists, or its Director, according to which political party holds the governor’s mansion. There is a line of communication from the lab to the administration, etc. So, the first idea should be that the FL governor gets facts and conclusions from his own state scientists b/f making public announcements, etc., of a scientific nature.

BTW, if folks are concerned about the effects of anthropogenic pollution in FL, then the best solution would be to quit moving there!

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Florida has some algae productions attributes...
1) Large natural Phospate deposits
2) Very large Swamps
3) Porus Sedimentary sub soils.
4) Water shed is high.
5) Sunshine is large amounts

Not much of those are controllable by man.
Jim...

PS: Refer to my post #32 above for possible control.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Has anyone ever done a correlation study with Gulf oil spills and the growth of red tide? It seems like the biggest surges happen a year or two after a big oil spill. Maybe it's just that there seems to be a big oil spill every few years anyhow. Coincidence.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Oct 1, 2007
Boston Whaler Super Sport Pt. Judith
Very cold, cold snaps in Florida during winters are probably most responsible for reductions in population abundance of common snook along the Gulf coast. Snook is basically a warm water fish that likes subtropical mangrove habitats. It may take a population many years to rebound following a big reduction.

FYI, Florida administrations have the benefit of an excellent marine research facility (Florida Marine Research Institute) in St. Petersburg that was first established decades ago to study red tide. It does not change its scientists, or its Director, according to which political party holds the governor’s mansion. There is a line of communication from the lab to the administration, etc. So, the first idea should be that the FL governor gets facts and conclusions from his own state scientists b/f making public announcements, etc., of a scientific nature.

BTW, if folks are concerned about the effects of anthropogenic pollution in FL, then the best solution would be to quit moving there!
I did my best by actually reversing my move to Florida this year. Grew very tired of alligators, toads, coyotes, fires, hurricanes, and crowds. Moved back to NE country living.

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Fort Walton Yacht Club, Florida
Man has controlled his nearby environment by learning how to Eat the antagonistic flora and fauna or convert them to a useful product.

Sometimes man can create a "moat" to delay their advance, while he reinforces the weaken barrier.

Algae is perhaps natures most efficient Solar Collector!

Farm it and make Biodiesel
Jim...

If the meth heads could figure out a way of getting an algae buzz any algae would be in very short supply around here.

Sep 14, 2014
Catalina 22 Pensacola, Florida
Biggest factor is a former governor Scott who changed the state motto to "open for Business" and promptly stopped any enforcement of water quality standards against Big Sugar with their fertilizer runoff and against the phosphate industry which also produces nutrient rich effluent. Result was stimulating a constant state of feeding for red tide algae.

Aug 22, 2017
Hunter 26.5 West Palm Beach
As far as the snook go, I am still seeing plenty of them around here, just none in the silly tight, 28-32" slot limit.

May 4, 2005
Macgregor 26d Ft Lauderdale, Fl
plenty of snook in Broward county.

We have had red tide for years and years. (but this year its in the ocean, vs the normal bays)

The agreed solution is to flood South Florida with 2" of water.
People now living there have other ideas.

Apr 16, 2017
Federation NCC-1701 Riverside
Went out today in Sarasota Bay in Florida. In some areas the water is rusty/gold with 1 foot of visibility and in others it is crystal clear for 2-3 feet down. The only clear spot was over some plant beds. Interestingly, as we crossed the bay during tacks we would hit pockets where everyone in the boat would just start coughing. The coughing was worse in the channel between New Pass and Centennial Park, but sometimes it was mid bay. There wasn't any visible hint that the air was contaminated in any way.

Dead fish floating everywhere. No dolphins or sharks today.

Aug 22, 2017
Hunter 26.5 West Palm Beach
Why is this silly?
It's just my humble opinion. If the snook population was on the scant side, then I would see the need for a narrow slot. At this time, they are so plentiful that they seem to be pushing other species out of the area. If the slot were more like 26-36", then I think we would see better balance & diversity of fishes in my local waters.

I also have a pet peeve about the barracuda regulations that they saddled us with a year or two ago & some of the shark regulations that we have in this state. Those things are pests. I have to make a noteworthy effort to avoid them. I've brought up a lot of fish heads & even more lines that were bitten off above a 3' wire leader.

Oct 10, 2011
Tartan 34C Toms River, New Jersey
I did my best by actually reversing my move to Florida this year. Grew very tired of alligators, toads, coyotes, fires, hurricanes, and crowds. Moved back to NE country living.
Where might that be?:confused:

Apr 16, 2017
Federation NCC-1701 Riverside
You replaced gaters with great whites and wolf fish and snakes with beach tourists from warwick.

I used to live in pt judith just passed aunt carries restaurant.