Florida Red Tide

Oct 1, 2007
Boston Whaler Super Sport Pt. Judith
You replaced gaters with great whites and wolf fish and snakes with beach tourists from warwick.

I used to live in pt judith just passed aunt carries restaurant.
Last time I checked, Great Whites had NOT been recently sighted in the forest around my home. On the other hand, I had 8 ft alligators 30 ft from my lanai in Florida. I'm not disparaging Florida. We went, tried it, and opted back home. I think we are known as "fullbacks" in the retired community. :)

Oct 10, 2011
Tartan 34C Toms River, New Jersey
As you can see from my profile, Pt Judith, RI
Sorry Rick, when you mentioned NE, I thought you were referring to somewhere in Will's neck of the woods. I guess I should pay more attention the profiles.

Oct 1, 2007
Your reference is 5 years old. However, as it happens, there were some sightings this past summer. Apparently some seals had established a beach head near North Light on Block Island. As the story goes, the Great White community was thrilled to hear of it and allegedly spent some time out there sampling the local cuisine. Of course, the seals were dismayed, caught on pretty quick, and moved on, minus a few of their number. Apparently, one GW was so upset by the seals departure he/she swam into the Harbor of Refuge and became entangled in some stationary fish traps and expired. I heard that particular GW was a twelve foot specimen. Not "Jaws" caliber but an animal to be afforded the most respect. There was a reported fatal shark attack on Cape Cod this summer as well. Apparently some of the seal community were passing through the Truro area and some unknowing human decided to swim out and play with the seals. Not sure what type of shark it was but again he/she gnawed on the guy a bit and he succumbed to his injuries (the guy did). It was the first recorded shark attack on the Cape since forever I guess. Believe me, I watch shark stuff very closely and never swim off a beach anywhere on open water. Mostly off the boat when anchored in a safe harbor. On the other hand I'm not sure how many fatal gator attacks took place in Florida this year. Seems I remember one but not sure if it was Florida or one of the Carolinas. The buggers go pretty far north.

Aug 22, 2017
Hunter 26.5 West Palm Beach
I swam off of Cape Cod (in season) for most of my youth. When I was young & fearless (reckless), I used to catch small sand sharks with my bare hands, just for the fun of it. Other than that, I didn't see a whole lot of sharks in the area, except for when that one shark tournament happened in the middle of the summer. Most of those sharks were picked up from the trench between the islands to the south, with a smaller percentage coming in from locations off the mainland. I never worried about sharks for the 20+ years that I swam in that area, even when I went to the same beach where Jaws was filmed.

Here in Florida, I see A LOT more sharks. Mostly, I see bull sharks. Second most common is probably spinners. Hammers are not uncommon. Fine Tooth, Sharp Nose, Sand Bar & a few others show up on occasion. We also have big Cudas, Wahoo & smoker size Kingfish here that can remove fingers or hands if you are not careful. Around here, when you reel in a fish head nstead of a whole fish, we just consider it akin to paying the tax man.

Gators are plentiful in this state. We also have a few salt water crocks in some places. The crocks are much more aggressive, but a calm-seeming gator did get a friend's golden retriever a couple of years ago. Out in the glades, I have seen black panthers. We also have some fairly gigantic snakes. In this state, it is legal to open carry a handgun without a permit when fishing. There is a reason for that. In some places around here, it's a good idea. Offshore, I don't feel the need.

Yea, we have a fair selection of dangerous critters here in the sunshine state. They are more numerous than what I used to see in the NE, but not as numerous as the ones that I used to see when I lived in AZ. I personally haven't had any problems in any of these locations.

Oct 1, 2007
We have plenty of gators here in Southport, N.C.

Poke him in the nose, he’ll go away..
I dunno. If he/she is close enough for me to poke him/her in the nose, he/she can probably grab me. Scariest thing ever was driving on the gravel roads in the 'Glades looking at huge gators in the water next to the road. At one point I needed to take a leak and my companion said, "...before you do that you might want to look over here...". There was a huge gator maybe 20 ft from the Jeep.

Oct 1, 2007
I swam off of Cape Cod (in season) for most of my youth. When I was young & fearless (reckless), I used to catch small sand sharks with my bare hands, just for the fun of it. Other than that, I didn't see a whole lot of sharks in the area, except for when that one shark tournament happened in the middle of the summer. Most of those sharks were picked up from the trench between the islands to the south, with a smaller percentage coming in from locations off the mainland. I never worried about sharks for the 20+ years that I swam in that area, even when I went to the same beach where Jaws was filmed.

Here in Florida, I see A LOT more sharks. Mostly, I see bull sharks. Second most common is probably spinners. Hammers are not uncommon. Fine Tooth, Sharp Nose, Sand Bar & a few others show up on occasion. We also have big Cudas, Wahoo & smoker size Kingfish here that can remove fingers or hands if you are not careful. Around here, when you reel in a fish head nstead of a whole fish, we just consider it akin to paying the tax man.

Gators are plentiful in this state. We also have a few salt water crocks in some places. The crocks are much more aggressive, but a calm-seeming gator did get a friend's golden retriever a couple of years ago. Out in the glades, I have seen black panthers. We also have some fairly gigantic snakes. In this state, it is legal to open carry a handgun without a permit when fishing. There is a reason for that. In some places around here, it's a good idea. Offshore, I don't feel the need.

Yea, we have a fair selection of dangerous critters here in the sunshine state. They are more numerous than what I used to see in the NE, but not as numerous as the ones that I used to see when I lived in AZ. I personally haven't had any problems in any of these locations.
Wish you hadn't told us about the Golden. I have Golden #4 Toby. One of the primary reasons we sold our place in Florida was the constant threat to our two dogs from gators, toads, coyotes. Just too much.

Oct 1, 2007

Friend of mine once said "...God made us out of, well, food..."

Aug 22, 2017
Wish you hadn't told us about the Golden. I have Golden #4 Toby. One of the primary reasons we sold our place in Florida was the constant threat to our two dogs from gators, toads, coyotes. Just too much.
Yea, my buddy was pretty busted up about it. He was jogging along the edge of a canal in Wellington with his dog trotting behind him. Next thing he knew, bark/whimper splash gone. He described it as a pretty surreal experience. It happened very fast. When he looked back, all he saw was the ripples in the water.

I know a couple of people who had to rush their dogs to the vet after an encounter with a Bofo toad, but so far, I don't know anyone who has lost a dog to one.

I haven't seen coyotes here yet. I do know them well from living in AZ. Out there, it was not uncommon to be able to shoot more than a dozen per day in some places. 1-hole pelts fetched $7 raw, back when I lived there. 50-grain Hornady SPSX or Lyman 225415hp were my preferred tools for that particular task. They were VERY effective & the single hole in the pelt was less than 1/4" in diameter.

Aug 22, 2017
I'm jealous. The Florida panther is a sad story, already in its epilogue.
The first time I saw one, I was driving out to Everglades City around 1:00 am, back in the 1980's. I was pretty tired & I thought that I was hallucinating when I saw it. At that time, I didn't know about the existence of black panthers in Florida.

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
I was playing golf in Kissimmee with my nephew when I sliced into a bit of rough on the right side of the fairway.
Something large and black with a very long tail lit out of the small grove and ran off into the forest.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
I was playing golf in Kissimmee with my nephew when I sliced into a bit of rough on the right side of the fairway.
Something large and black with a very long tail lit out of the small grove and ran off into the forest.
That was an anarchist alligator. They add an element of unanticipated surprise and danger to an otherwise tame sport!