Florida Red Tide

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Thank you KG. Your post makes it clear to me that the Red Tides are going to exist until my expiration date. I guess, if I decide to relocate to Florida, I will do what all those other Floridians do and learn to live with it. Florida has a large population of aged citizens and I'm not aware of a higher rate of mortality among them from the Red Tide. I'll be one of those on the beach with a hack and having a nice swim. I'm still not clear on the situation for the St. Lucie River. I saw plenty of boats using the river. I saw them anchored under the Causeway. I saw people fishing in it. I'm not sure how it might fit into my sailing life. It is likely I will be sailing a small craft and will be close to the water including getting sprayed.

Sailm8

Feb 21, 2008
Hunter 29.5 Punta Gorda
For those interested, you can go to Mote Marine's website and subscribe to a daily red tide report.

Sep 15, 2013
Catalina 270 Baltimore
Florida red tides are classified in science vernacular as Harmful Algal Blooms (HABs) along with other forms. There has been much state and federal dollars spent on research and potential mitigation of HABs nationwide. Over population and resultant “eutrophication” are likely not directly causative. As Don alluded, there are accounts from Conquistadors of severe red tides in the northern GOM dating to the 16th century.

In FL, the red tide is caused by an endemic toxic dinoflagellate that produces toxin which enters the air, causing respiratory “distress” when inhaled. I’ve experienced it many times while transiting the ICW at Longboat Pass.

Iron is a limiting trace nutrient for a blue-green alga that lives with the dinoflagellate. When Saharan dust blows over from Africa to the GOM, it carries and deposits iron. The iron stimulates the blue-green algae to fix nitrogen; i.e., it converts diatomic nitrogen into ammonium which the dinoflagellate absorbs easily; more easily than nitrate. A HAB follows a few days later. This goes on continuously, but where some dust clouds arriving are greater than others, etc. Arrival of dust clouds has been seen and documented via satellite imagery.

Florida elections won’t solve this problem any more than they can stop thunderstorms from occurring. Science can’t solve this problem either; only explain it.
Absolutely correct. I lived in Florida for 20 years. Red tide was an almost yearly occurrence on either coast.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
Yeah, the St. Lucie River system used to be clean clear water. Florida has turned Lake Okeechobee into a cesspool of agriculture and urban run-off pollution and when USACE needs to drain the lake it discharges and contaminates both the St. Lucie and the Caloosahatchee Rivers - not surprisingly the same two point-sources for red-algae blooms, marine life kills on both the east and west coasts of Florida. For the life of me I don’t understand why Floridians put up with poor water quality - it is the basis of their tourist economy.

Apr 16, 2017
Federation NCC-1701 Riverside
For the life of me I don’t understand why Floridians put up with poor water quality - it is the basis of their tourist economy.
Sum(People.GiveAF*PowerAllocation) < Sum(People.DontGiveAF*PowerAllocation)

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
Sum(People.GiveAF*PowerAllocation) < Sum(People.DontGiveAF*PowerAllocation)
And in this relationship, the influence of the variable PowerApplication will always be MUCH greater than the influence of the other terms - so much so that the effect of the other variables is negated. Go vote today.

Aug 22, 2017
Hunter 26.5 West Palm Beach
I am told that the gulf coast sees red tide pretty much every year. Here in SE Florida, some years I see it & other years I don't. This year it was heavier than normal.

When you see the stuff floating on the surface, it's really bad. When you see dead fish, it's really bad. Until you get a good stiff west wind for a few days, it just hangs around & gets worse. For a while here, the lifeguards at the beach were wearing gas masks. That was a new one for me. I had to go out about 6 miles before I started finding fish that would bite. The nearshore bottom bite was dead as far out as I tried, which was about 300' in depth. That is a really bad sign. That is the last place that I look when nothing is biting anywhere else & it "always" gives me something.

The effects that you feel at the beach are amplified by surf. Surf breaks up the red tide & releases it's toxins into the air. I had an uncomfortable lunch at Benny's on the Beach in Lake Worth a couple of weeks ago.

I am sure that even if the population here were reduced to 10% of what it is, & farming was similarly reduced, we would still have some toxic algae blooms, but I am fairly confident that they would be much smaller, fewer & further between. I remember seeing the differences that were made when phosphates were removed from detergents. Man made chemicals do feed this kind of stuff significantly.

Politics here are not as bad as some other places I have lived, but there is a lot of room for improvement. When I voted today, there were several line items that listed only one name to choose from. I entered 3 write ins & left 1 blank. The politicians here are mostly in the pockets of large contributors, as much as they are in many other places. There are a lot of people in this state with incredible amounts of money & influence. Their needs/wants/desires get a lot of priority.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
So, if everybody went back to wherever they came from.....
They generally do. Michiganders in the spring, retirees in a pine box, and families after a week at Disneyworld.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Man has controlled his nearby environment by learning how to Eat the antagonistic flora and fauna or convert them to a useful product.

Sometimes man can create a "moat" to delay their advance, while he reinforces the weaken barrier.

Algae is perhaps natures most efficient Solar Collector!

Farm it and make Biodiesel
Jim...

May 4, 2005
Macgregor 26d Ft Lauderdale, Fl
Most of the red tide in Fla is directly related to agricultural runoff from rain. If the people cared, they could those who would mandate less problematic fertilizers and soil conditioners. Obviously they don't.
Maybe one day people will.
no.
THIS RED TIDE, is not from storm runoff.
There were no fish kills in the bays that are fed by rivers and lake O.
We have had problems with lake O dumping water, but not this year. (and Lake O is controlled by Army corp of Engineers)

here is the red tide monitoring stations. note the problem is on the beach/ocean NOT inland waters (this time). (ft myers is the direct route from Lake O)

https://myfwc.maps.arcgis.com/apps/View/index.html?appid=87162eec3eb846218cec711d16462a72

from what I understand its been happening for years in the gulf. temperature is a contributor, as is no wind or storms mixing up the hot stagnant water. Now that its starting to cool and we are getting the northern fronts, it should clear up quickly.

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
This is consistent with my recent observations of coughing while on the Ocean beach but not while sitting next to the Indian River. In the Indian River I didn't observe any fish kills. In fact it appears the fishing was good. Fish - I think so kind of Jack - were jumping all over the place.

Sailm8

Feb 21, 2008
Hunter 29.5 Punta Gorda
The news TV is showing the algae from lake O coming down the Caloosahatchee from Franklin Locks. Time for round two.

Aug 22, 2017
Hunter 26.5 West Palm Beach
Jacks (&/or snook) chasing mullet would be my guess as well. This time of year, the mullet are migrating through the area on their way south. They hang right on the surface most of the time & when the larger fish come after them, they often jump out of the water. If it was jacks, they will most likely be Jack Cravalles. That is a fast moving, aggressive feeding, hard fighting fish that is not particularly good to eat. About all I ever use them for is shark bait. The mullet are still plentiful by me right now. They will probably be thinning out pretty soon.

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
W was tlalking with some of the fishermen who said basically that. A good hard fighting fish but you can't eat them.