Flipping the forward Hatch around?

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Hello Balboa 26 sailors....

So I have a question. Have any of you switched the hinges on your forward hatch so that it opens forward instead of to aft?

We were tied up at a Marina on Tangier Island last summer and we had a nice stiff breeze blowing from forward but to get any air down into the boat, I had to take off the hinges for the forward hatch. So I'm thinking I'd rather just switch it so that it opens forward. Any good reason not to do this?

I guess I'm curious as to why anyone would want the hatch to open aft in the first place? Unless it was so it would close on a breaking sea but.... I don't sail with my hatch open anyway.

If you got some insights that I've overlooked, please share....

r

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
I don't sail a Balboa 26, but by Catalina 27's forward hatch opens facing forward. At least one other Balboa 26 owners has done it.... you can always switch it back.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Boarding seas forward might break open the hatch if facing forward even if secured. Get a wind funnel to ventilate below at anchor or in the slip.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
I don't think I've sailed on a boat with an aft facing hatch. Doesn't make it right but I've only heard of a handful of boats which have lost the hatch. Not none. But I would think you could use the heaviest hardware you need to be comfortable.
I would really want that breeze at anchor.

Squidd

Sep 26, 2011
AMF Alcort Paceship PY26 Washburn Wi. Apostle Islands
My PY26 hatch opens forward (hinges on aft) Been like that for 35 years...

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Yeah that is what I'm thinking too.... I've have tried the wind scoop and it works okay but much better when I took the hatch off.

Sold.... I'm turning it around.

r

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
KG has the right idea if you sail in Oceans or swell/waves that come aboard the bow.

The wind catcher will help to capture that cooling breeze. Note when you capture the breeze there is likely no waves to drench you.

The power of boarding water can open your hatch. The open hatch and filling water can lead to sinking your boat.

As always it is your boat and you know the risks in the water you sail.

Aug 22, 2022
Balboa 20 Montezuma
I really like the idea of hinging both sides and being able to choose. If one has weather when one can deploy the anchor and go below for a meal or nap, having a forward open would really be nice.

Apr 22, 2011
Hunter 27 Pecan Grove, Oriental, NC
xr-200-offshore-cast-hatch-833042.jpg

I replaced my original V-Berth hatch with a used Atkins and Hoyle hatch. As you can see in the photo the design allows the hatch to open from the front or rear by reversing the support rod and changing the pins.

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
Forward opening makes sense. You will also notice that a screen, if present, will greatly reduce the air flow.

Dec 28, 2015
Laser, Hunter H30 Cherubini Tacoma
Orientation doesn’t matter when secured properly. Latches and hinges would have the same security.