Flares. How do you dispose of them?

DArcy

Feb 11, 2017
Islander Freeport 36 Ottawa
I took old flares to the fire department. The fire man I handed them to didn't look to sure about it but he took them.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Darcy. I tried that at the fire training center. The guy on duty said “hell just throw them in the dumpster. We have no need for them.“

Dec 23, 2016
Catalina 27 Clinton CT
Agree. I have never had an old flare never go off. I do have the Weems and Plathe SOS light to be compliant, but I am not relying on other boaters to recognize the SOS visual signal it is putting out. Also take on of your handheld flares and set it off in the back yard. There are instructions on them as to how to strike them to light. You don't really want to learn how to light these when you need them on the water

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
I’m surprised no one has marketed a holder for the flares once lit because some spit more than others.

Jun 8, 2004
Catalina 320 Dana Point
A fishing boat went down nearshore in bad weather, an old guy taking his regular 3 am piss just happened to see them shoot their last flare out his bathroom window and phoned CG. Yeah, I keep a big waterproof box of expired extras.
I must remark that shooting one of those 12ga flare guns on a dark moonless ocean is extremely disappointing, cheap bottle rockets work better.
https://www.ocregister.com/2005/11/29/4-survive-boat-that-sinks-near-san-clemente-2/

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
A fishing boat went down nearshore in bad weather, an old guy taking his regular 3 am piss just happened to see them shoot their last flare out his bathroom window and phoned CG. Yeah, I keep a big waterproof box of expired extras.
I must remark that shooting one of those 12ga flare guns on a dark moonless ocean is extremely disappointing, cheap bottle rockets work better.
https://www.ocregister.com/2005/11/29/4-survive-boat-that-sinks-near-san-clemente-2/
I was really surprised at how quickly they go out.

Greg

Jun 8, 2004
Catalina 320 Dana Point
And very little altitude it seemed, in that Redford movie I was thinking "You better aim those things straight at the wheelhouse for that freighter to notice you Bob."

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
I put mine in the attic. There is no place to get rid of them. Thought about giving them to the grandchildren on the fourth but then thought they might hurt themselves. There should be a way to safely dispose of them, maybe involving overnight soaking or something. Maybe our government could address this problem? Like they did with the "Do Not Call List." Guess not.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
I’m surprised no one has marketed a holder for the flares once lit because some spit more than others.
The flares produce a lot of hot slag that you don't want landing on your boat. The idea is to hold them over the side so the slag drops in to the water and on the boat, potentially starting a fire, or worse on your bare toes.

Dec 1, 1999
Hunter 28.5 Chesapeake Bay
Many countries have toxic waste disposal capabilities and may take old flares. For those who decide to ignite old handheld flares in their backyards or elsewhere, wear an oven mitt or similar protection when doing so.

Give some thought to where the ash or slag is going to come down. A few years ago, while anchored in a tightly packed Annapolis Harbor to witness 4th of July fireworks, a fool on a nearby boat set off a handheld flare. Some hot ash came down on the Bimini of a nearby boat and set it on fire. A real mess ensued as boats scrambled to get out of the way as fire boats approached.