Flares. How do you dispose of them?

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
I was rummaging thru my cockpit bins last night and came across a pack of 3 flares. The expiration date was 2002. I think I need to get rid of them. Are they on a Coast Guard safety checklist? I see some evidence on board that it has been inspected and passed so how you explain flares that old? The boat was CG documented when we bought her and we kept it that way even though we are on an inland reservoir. I can't see needing to carry flares on board.
How do I get rid of them? A fire station? Wait until New Years Eve?

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Flares or an approved signaling device are required safety equipment, so you do need to carry them. Expired flares don't count. https://www.uscgboating.org/images/420.PDF

Orion and Weems and Plath now have approved electronic signaling devices that are battery operated. These count is you also carry a day signal. They are not cheap list price is about $100, but you never have to worry about getting rid of flares. Just properly dispose of the batteries every couple of years. In the long run much cheaper.

As for the flare you have now. You might try the fire department or just set them off in your back yard and let them burn. Good practice if you ever need to use one. Your town or county may also have a hazardous waste program that will properly dispose of the flares.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Thanks for the link. This is what I was wondering about since we are a landlocked body of water. But does the CG Vessel Documentation override this?

Visual Distress Signals (33 CFR 175.101) Vessels operating on U .S . coastal waters, the Great Lakes, and territorial seas, as well as those waters connected directly, up to a point where the waterway is less than two nautical miles wide, must be equipped with U .S . Coast Guard-approved visual distress signals (VDS) . Vessels owned in the United States and operating on the high seas must also be equipped with U .S . Coast Guard-approved visual distress signals .

Jan 11, 2014
Thanks for the link. This is what I was wondering about since we are a landlocked body of water. But does the CG Vessel Documentation override this?

Visual Distress Signals (33 CFR 175.101) Vessels operating on U .S . coastal waters, the Great Lakes, and territorial seas, as well as those waters connected directly, up to a point where the waterway is less than two nautical miles wide, must be equipped with U .S . Coast Guard-approved visual distress signals (VDS) . Vessels owned in the United States and operating on the high seas must also be equipped with U .S . Coast Guard-approved visual distress signals .
USCG Documentation does not affect safety requirements. The primary purpose of documentation is create a legal chain of ownership, much like the title to a house. Way back in the day, it was part of the national defense system. The Government wanted to know what boats might be available in case of a national emergency and needed to be put in service for that emergency. Think early 1800s and the War of 1812. Now the primary purpose to document ownership and national flag. Also allows the boat owner to forgo putting state registration numbers on the boat. (Although most states do require the boat to be registered, however, if the boat is documented the state numbers can't be displayed.)

As for the safety requirements, many states have adopted the USCG safety requirements and those are applicable to boaters in that state. Check with your state agencies for the requirements in Kansas.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Thanks for the info Dave.
I bought the boat in Kansas and he had these flares, but he bought it from someone back east who probably had a real use for them. I need to see what Kansas says.

Jan 11, 2014
Thanks for the info Dave.
I bought the boat in Kansas and he had these flares, but he bought it from someone back east who probably had a real use for them. I need to see what Kansas says.
Flares are one of those things like fire extinguishers. You don't have a real use for them until you have a real use for them. And when you need one of them and you don't have one, then you are SOL. :(

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Great fire starters for that backyard brush pile.

They give you that red glow so enjoyable on the 4th of July.

Be careful burning them off near a body of water. Best to check in with the local marine patrol and let them know you are running a practice session for boaters and will be live testing flares to assure safe practice. Have a few of those outdated fire extinguishers available to practice putting out the fires. Oh and don’t forget the first aide kit for the usual burns that occur.

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
I agree with Rich about keeping old flares. Also agree with John on using them to practice with. Just get on the radio and announce your intent so no one will come running to your rescue. If they do, ask them why they don't have or listen to their radio. LOL

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Other maybe a safety requirement, I haven't checked with KS yet, I don't see myself ever needing flares on this pond. I may ask other members if they have ever.
I see them as more useful in the trunks of my vehicles.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
Our yacht club has a flare burning session at the start of each season. Gives a good chance to get some practice and clear out expired flares. They do notify the fire department ahead of time.

We switched to a Weems and Plath electronic flare a couple years ago so we don't have to worry as much about expiration dates. It also comes with a day signal so as long as you keep the package together you're compliant with CG requirements.

Jan 19, 2010
Catalina 34 Casco Bay
Keep old flares and old charts... the flares might work.. and the charts....well the ATONS do get moved but the rocks are still in the same place....

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
I shot a few expired ones off during July 4th. Good to feel how the 12-gauge shells fire, how long they burn, etc. I used a handheld to light a fire. Also good to practice lighting one, hold it in your hand and see what sort of stuff comes out of it.

I have upgraded to an electronic flare and a day marker. Plus I keep my “newest” flares an a container marked as “Expired”. I should be legal with the flashlight flare and have some firepower should I need it (or to repel pirates).

Greg

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
My sailing club takes in flares up to 4 years old and gives brand new ones. In the spring we have a "safety day" to shoot them of and use fire extenguishers, set anchors, practice line tossing. We have fired off flares from the 1900s. The ones with the pull chain very seldom fire off. We notify the CG and the local fire department in advance, and the morning of, the shoot. The CG radios an alert on 16 at the appointed time.

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
My sister-in-law-law has a neighbor who is a real jerk. We dispose of ours by burying them in her fire pit(not too deep).:waycool:

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
I just keep 'em. Use the newest first if you must based on circumstances, but if you need more in extremis, you'll be glad to have them.

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
It's worth setting of hand held flares (in the back yard) if for no other reason than to gain an appreciation for the volume of hot slag they throw. You don't want to light them over anything that can be damaged.

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
I had an assortment from the PO and an old grill. I lit them and closed the cover on the grill. The older flares didn’t produce as much smoke and noticeably less glow. On a side note, the neighbors don’t ask me what I’m grilling.

Also some of the older flares wouldn’t strike even though they were kept dry for twenty years.

Last edited: