Well it is decision time! Oh gloom, what to do now......
I have managed to get just about everything fixed. The exhaust has been welded and I made a new rubber bush for the rear mount, the dynastart has been repaired by a nice Portuguese engineer, the oil leak seems to be fixed, the fuel pump is now fine, the raw water leak is cured, the St 200o tiller pilot has its new belts in it (fiddly job) and the engine (bless it) is running as sweet as a nut!
I have had a bad few days in Fuengerila da Foz feeling sorry for myself and wondering what to do but I think the boat is as ready as it ever was (maybe better) to go back to sea.
Do I play it safe and just hop along the coast, fit a new engine, and settle for the Med or do I strike out for the Canary Islands? I have provisioned for the 8 day sail to the Canaries but my arse it twitching a bit at the prospect! (excuse the French). I cannot find a reason not to go to the Canaries other than "if" I have more breakdowns.... but who knows. I am good with "spanners" and I would swear that this little engine is running very well with loads of power, good compression, nice clean exhaust etc... but I suppose it could blow up tomorrow.
I guess I will have to sleep on it and decide in the morning.... a few marinas are "on the way", as it were, because I have to head south along the Portuguese coast for a bit so I guess if I "bottle out" I can hang a left and run for a port.
Appreciate any words of wisdom.....
John the undecided......
I have managed to get just about everything fixed. The exhaust has been welded and I made a new rubber bush for the rear mount, the dynastart has been repaired by a nice Portuguese engineer, the oil leak seems to be fixed, the fuel pump is now fine, the raw water leak is cured, the St 200o tiller pilot has its new belts in it (fiddly job) and the engine (bless it) is running as sweet as a nut!
I have had a bad few days in Fuengerila da Foz feeling sorry for myself and wondering what to do but I think the boat is as ready as it ever was (maybe better) to go back to sea.
Do I play it safe and just hop along the coast, fit a new engine, and settle for the Med or do I strike out for the Canary Islands? I have provisioned for the 8 day sail to the Canaries but my arse it twitching a bit at the prospect! (excuse the French). I cannot find a reason not to go to the Canaries other than "if" I have more breakdowns.... but who knows. I am good with "spanners" and I would swear that this little engine is running very well with loads of power, good compression, nice clean exhaust etc... but I suppose it could blow up tomorrow.
I guess I will have to sleep on it and decide in the morning.... a few marinas are "on the way", as it were, because I have to head south along the Portuguese coast for a bit so I guess if I "bottle out" I can hang a left and run for a port.
Appreciate any words of wisdom.....
John the undecided......