Fixed vs. Free Wheeling Prop - Updated !

Dec 2, 2003
Hunter 376 Warsash, England --
Roger - I agree

I agree, the water dragged along by the hull will reduce the effects of prop drag as mentioned in my posting #29 last Thursday.
The YM "Ultimate Prop Test" did 15 props. I think the magazine specified 16 x 11 or thereabouts which was probably the size of the original prop supplied with the boat. This meant that all props were comparable even if they might not quite have suited the boat.

On test were 6 folders - Gori 3B, Flexofold 3B & 2B, Slipstream 3B & 2B and Varifold 2B. And 7 featherers - Autostream 3B, Autoprop 3B (Bruntons swinging blade), Featherstream 3B, Maxprop 3B & 2B, Kiwi 3B and Variprofile 3B. All were compared against a standard full turbine 3 blade with, what looks like, nearly 50% DAR. We do not see Campbell or Michigan wheel in the UK (and I have never believed the Campbell Sailer hype anyway - simply put narrow blades rather too thick) - don't want to start a war with Campbell devotees please.
Apart from exceptions, the folders gave the hull the most forward speed and had the highest forward bollard pull; but all markedly lacked the astern bollard pull and all had worse stopping distances. I had one of these. When put in reverse the hull carried on forwards and froth came out from under the stern!

I attribute the superior forward performance of the folders to their blades having 'washout' whilst the featherers have flat blades. I see no reason why the featherers could not have blades with washout as it is recommended to put the box into reverse whilst sailing and the drag penalty would not be too much.
By and large the featherers generated a higher percentage of their forward thrust as propwalk - up to 15.8% in the case of the Maxprop 2 blader. They had significantly wider blades.

Apologies to main for getting off his topic but this is such a terrific thread with knowledgable contributors.

Jul 1, 1998
Hunter Legend 35 Poulsbo/Semiahmoo WA
Less drag ==> Sail faster and higher Yea!!!

Thanks for the graph, Donalex. I was wondering when you'd show up!

With regard to Roger's boat, if Roger put on a prop with less drag, not only would the boat sail faster but, as a major fringe benefit, if you could call it that, it would also sail higher. The VMG, Velocity Made Good, is as nice to have as plain old speed.

So, when pouring over the numbers to see if it makes sense don't discount the VMG part of it.

The less drag there is the more one will sail and motor less. Umm.... another fringe benefit!

Main - after looking at the feathering prop curve you can forget my suggestion about doing a 2-blade feathering prop test. It looks like it'd be a waste of time.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
As usual!! Outstanding work, Maine!! A little larger difference in numbers than I thought but the result is as anticipated.. Thanks again for a well documented article !! Great news that no Crow Jambalaya was necessary!

Last edited: