Fixed vs. Free Wheeling Prop - Updated !

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
Hi All,

Question: Does a traditional sailboat fixed style free spinning prop, of typical pitch for reduction gears, create more or less drag than one that is locked when moving through the water?

Over the winter there were a few discussion that lead to no hard conclusions on whether a fixed prop or a locked prop causes more drag when dragged through the water. There have been two studies that have both concluded that a freewheeling prop causes less drag but these studies were done in test tanks and some sailors argued that vortexes created within the tanks throw off the results.

I don't like not knowing.:doh:

I've spent a few late nights in the barn, over the winter, listening to good tunes and plugging away on this design. This jig will tell us what we need to know. It was affixed off the side of my dinghy and dragged through the water ahead of the motor, to avoid vortexes & whirligigs and what ever else, and at a depth similar to that of my sailboats fixed prop.

I measured it both locked and freewheeling and I also measure the drag of the apparatus alone to subtract it from the actual drag of the props minus the test apparatus. I designed the bearings to have a similar resistance to the prop shaft on my own sail boat so from that perspective all quite comparable in terms of freewheeling.

The drag measurements were captured with a 50 Lb. analog scale (ditched the digital as analog showed better on video) and GPS SOG so as to more accurately compare between the same prop in both fixed and freewheeling modes. The range of motion on the scale (movement of the hook) from 0-50 lbs. is about 1/8" so this did not affect any readings what so ever by changing the angle of the test jig in the water..

The prop I used was standard three blade fixed sailboat prop. It is made by Michigan Wheel. I call it the "Dumbo ears prop".

This is an age old argument, with a relatively easy test, yet surprisingly no one has done it, not even Practical Sailor..:confused::confused:

The Test jig:

The Shaft Mechanism (the nail is the shaft lock):

The Drag Measurement Assembly:

The Hinge Mechanism:

The Digital 50 Lb. Scale:

Michigan Wheel Data Updated 4/18/09:

The results of the Michigan Wheel MP prop have been completed. I want to reiterate some points below so there is less confusion.

1) This test was only to determine if a standard Michigan Wheel three blade fixed prop causes more or less drag when towed through the ocean at a similar depth to that of a sailboat and with a comparable shaft resistance to a sailboat (namely mine). It is not to give accurate numbers or data on how much drag the specific prop creates.

2) Drag is relative to the the drag jig I used. The drag jig alone, with no prop, created about 12 lbs. of drag in this configuration at WOT.

3) Because the jig is the 100% the same in both fixed and freewheeling and the ONLY difference between fixed and freewheeling was a 2.5 inch roofing nail the only differences in drag come from the prop not being able to spin and spinning.

4) The motor was always run up to wide open throttle to totally minimize any variability between locked and freewheeling.

5) The pin point accuracy of the scale means little because it is only a control. The same scale was used for both fixed and freewheeling and it was only compared to itself in an A/B situation.

6) The difference between fixed and freewheeling was LARGE so a pound or two here or there means very, very little. Average drag at WOT in freewheeling mode was about 20-25 pounds including the test jigs strut. Subtract the test jig strut drag of 12 pounds and you have a free spinning drag of roughly 8-13 pounds of prop drag.

Average drag in fixed mode including the strut was about 45-50 pounds. Subtract the test jig strut drag of 12 pounds and you have a locked drag of roughly 33-38 pounds. As you can see .001 differences in accuracy do not matter when trying to answer this question. The locked prop resulted in an additional 25 pound difference.

With strut drag left in:
Free Spinning = 20-25 Pounds Drag
Locked = 45-50 Pounds Drag

On the low end of both drag range numbers, 20 pounds free and 45 pounds locked, that is a 125% increase in DRAG by locking the prop!

On the high end of the drag range numbers 25 pounds to 50 pounds that is a 100% increase in drag cause by locking the prop!

Strut drag removed:

Free Spinning = 8-13 Pounds Drag
Locked = 33-38 Pounds Drag

On the low end of both drag range numbers, 8 pounds free and 33 pounds locked, that is a 312.5% increase in DRAG by locking the prop!

On the high end of the drag range numbers 13 pounds to 38 pounds that is a 192% increase in drag cause by locking the prop!

As I said before we're not talking about .001 differences.

When I spun the strut around, with the prop facing forward, and ahead of the struts interference wake, I was surprised that i could not detect a discernible difference in load despite having to move the line a little higher on the strut. If there was a difference it was clearly less than one or two pounds and not noticeable in the scale of things.

7) Freewheeling is little bit of a misnomer. The shaft was not actually allowed to freewheel with minimal to no friction. The friction bearings were tightened and adjusted to closely mimic the friction of my own sailboats shaft. This test was primarily for me and my own curiosity and then secondarily for the sailing community. This is why the depth of the prop in the water matches my CS-36T and the shaft friction was set to begin spinning at about .8 - 1.2 knots which is what it does on my own boat.

8) The results are quite discernible and coincide with those of the MIT study, the University of Strathclyde study. Dave Gerr and some other prop drag tests like the one in a UK magazine just this month.

9) This experiment is about the prop used, a Michigan Wheel three blade "MP" prop. I make NO claims or suggestions about any other fixed type props including a two blade version of the Michigan Wheel MP. If someone wants to send me a two blade MP in a 1" shaft size I will be glad to test it too..;)

10) As far as I know this the ONLY video proof that clearly shows a fixed vs. freewheeling three blade sailboat prop being load tested and compared to itself in both fixed and locked mode.

11) Before you get all fired up because you are a believer that fixed three blade props cause less drag, not more, PLEASE remember that the ONLY difference between the fixed and freewheeling modes was a 2.5" nail passing through both the jig and the 1" shaft to lock it. There is NO possible way that 2.5" nail caused a nearly 100% increase in drag or 25 additional pounds of resistance.;)

12) I need a bigger motor! I was only able to attain a max speed of about 4.2 knots with the jig and prop in the water freewheeling and less in locked mode. I'd like to hit 6.5-7. Most sailors though are concerned about prop drag at less than hull speed. In light winds, and under hull speed, with a fixed three blade Michigan Wheel like this one, you will see less drag when freewheeling.

Edit: I used a 10HP motor and hit 7 Knots but the scale then needed to be bigger as in locked mode it spun past where it should. Free spinning was still less drag by a wide margin. I have not been able to track down a 100 pound scale. If anyone knows of a reasonably priced one please let me know.

13) I also load tested the jig alone, without a prop, at WOT and it had about 12+/- pounds of drag so you would need to subtract approx 12 pounds from the 25 or 50 pound numbers to get the actual prop drag in this test. I think it is safer to say something like "more than double" it is actually closer to 2.9 times more observed drag. I leave the .001's up to MIT but they are really not needed here.

If I subtract the jig drag from the numbers this is what we get.

Locked = Drag 50 Lbs. - Jig Drag 12Lbs. = 38 Lbs. of drag
Free Spin = Drag 25 Lbs. - Jig Drag 12Lbs. = 13 Lbs. of drag

That is a BIG difference!!!

I actually double checked the MIT study again they show the Michigan 3 blade at about 13 pounds of drag at 3.5 knots which is close to the max speed I could get out of it when locked. If you subtract the 12 pounds of test jig drag from the 25 pounds measured on the scale you are within a pound or two of the MIT study. Pretty close and not bad for a back yard hack who did not go to MIT...

Interestingly enough Yachting Monthly just did a similar project and their data also agrees with the University of Strathclyde and MIT as well as my findings:

Prop Drag Video (LINK)

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Islander/Wayfairer 30 sail number 25 Perryville,Md.
Re: Coming Soon !

I didn't see any thing that would skew your readings. Possibly a little drag on the hole/string turn but it will be the same all the time. I presume you are looking for large differences not small decimals.
Nice set up , good methods. I look forward to the results.

Feb 6, 1998
Thanks Ross..

I didn't see any thing that would skew your readings. Possibly a little drag on the hole/string turn but it will be the same all the time. I presume you are looking for large differences not small decimals.
Nice set up , good methods. I look forward to the results.

Ross,

Thanks! I thought a lot about the design before I built it.

If you look closely & you'll see there is a ball bearing Harken block below the 2X4 and the hole has smooth routed edges. The hole is far wider than the line too. The line only touches the Harken sheave and has no contact with the wood..

Slot:

Harken Ball Bearing Block:

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Re: Thanks Ross..

That will work! That line won't move very much anyway.
With small modifications in the mounting method you could put it in the water along side your big boat.
This has potential for good testing and research.

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
Re: Fixed vs. Free Wheeling Prop - Coming Soon !

Somewhere in the archives during the last debate about this, someone found a link to some studies, the result of which I forgot. Assuming you participated and remember that discussion, I would appreciate knowing how your test differs from the methodologies employed then. The engineer in me keeps repeating the old adage that the result is a function of the method. I can't find fault with what you propose but wonder why prior studies would have done it differently, if they did.

Oct 22, 2008
- Telstar 28 Buzzards Bay

I am guessing you'll find that there is more drag with a freewheeling prop than there is with a fixed one. Good luck and keep us posted.

Feb 6, 1998
I am guessing you'll find that there is more drag with a freewheeling prop than there is with a fixed one. Good luck and keep us posted.
One vote in..!!

I have no opinion either way so it will be fun to finally know!

Ross

Jun 15, 2004

prior studies have been done in a towing tank and criticized for failing to account for tank wall turbulence. Mainesail proposes an open water test with the test rig in clean water.
Mainesail, Perhaps you should get a base line drag with no prop. Then add the prop. This would approximate the skeg.

Feb 6, 1998
I do plan on that

Mainesail, Perhaps you should get a base line drag with no prop. Then add the prop. This would approximate the skeg.

I plan on doing just that because I want to know the percent drag difference between my Campbell & Dumbo prop by taking the skeg out of the equation, as much as possible. If the skeg has 2 Lbs of drag alone then I know if I have 20 Lbs. with prop I probably have slightly less than that.

Really I am more looking for an answer to the age old question..;);)

Oct 10, 2006
Oday 222 Mt. Pleasant, SC
I understand the reasoning behind why the freewheeling prop would cause more drag than a locked one, but I still can't help to remember that a prop is a screw. It's much easier to turn a screw into a piece of wood than it is to push it in. But then another part of my brain thinks of an autogyro. I'm going to vote for the freewheeling prop causing less resistance, but neither result will surprise me. I wonder if it would be easy for you to test the resistance to acceleration of the prop. I can see where the spinning prop might have more resistance to acceleration much like the autogyro blades.

Feb 6, 1998
I wonder if it would be easy for you to test the resistance to acceleration of the prop. I can see where the spinning prop might have more resistance to acceleration much like the autogyro blades.
That is what the GPS will be for..

One vote locked, one vote freewheel..!!

Ross

Jun 15, 2004

Mine freewheels but also slips for all of the obvious reasons. So it doesn't turn one revolution every 13 inches.

Sep 29, 2008
Catalina 310 #185 Quantico
Doesn't matter!

Whatever the result it is pretty cool you are doing this. This was a pretty spirited discussion over the winter and the discussion comes up over and over in racing circles. Inquiring minds want to know. I am thinking the fixed prop is better, but ...

RichH

Feb 14, 2005
Tayana 37 cutter; I20/M20 SCOWS Worton Creek, MD

Looks real good

Suggest you 'push it' rather than 'drag it' to avoid/minimize turbulence and upwash from the vertical pipe. Also if you keep it in deep water youll avoid hydro. reflections from the bottom.

Will be keen to view the results.

regards
RichH

Ross

Jun 15, 2004

I think the pipe will simulate a strut and as such it is valid.

Benny

Sep 27, 2008
Hunter 320 Tampa, FL

My vote is that a freewheeling prop should provide less drag than a locked one but I think the difference between the two options is going to be rather small to make for a significant choice. Cannot find any fault with the test jig and if enough passess are done to eliminate water condition variables the results should be quite reliable. Will await the results with interest.

RichH

Feb 14, 2005
Tayana 37 cutter; I20/M20 SCOWS Worton Creek, MD
I think the pipe will simulate a strut and as such it is valid.
Strut produces upwash and turbulence .... dont need to complicate the question nor the answer as then you will never be able to isolate nor reconcile the 'truth'.
KISS

Tom S

Feb 4, 2004
Catalina 36mkII Stamford, CT

Didn't MIT or someone like that do something on this a long time ago?

I think the freewheeling prop creates the least drag, but its very dependant on the friction and/or torque that might be applied on the prop shaft.

Mar 28, 2007
Oday 23 Anna Maria Isl.

Very cool. Thanks for taking the time Maine. I am betting the biggest surprise will be how different levels of boat speed will change the results.

Tom S

Feb 4, 2004
Catalina 36mkII Stamford, CT

Love to see MaineSails resulting tests before I release some extensive tests that I have found. But I trust MaineSail to still run the tests in a methodical way and show the results that he gets.

But here it is - Freewheeling has much less drag ! (but its usually not good for many transmissions and bearings with all the extra wera and tear)

(cut to the chase - go to pages 37 and 40 for figures 6 and 8 here -> http://strathprints.strath.ac.uk/5670/1/strathprints005670.pdf )

or another one but I think you'll need to purchse study for full result

http://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...serid=10&md5=503e86665aa47e781a6ce7ea5b02a4bf

http://strathprints.strath.ac.uk/5670/1/strathprints005670.pdf