Fixed Dock Piling Pulley System

Feb 20, 2016
Catalina 22 Palm Harbor
Inherited a slip with pulley system attached on rear piling of slip, each side.
This system is new to me, however it does a great job keeping the boat( 1987 Cat 22 SK ) centered in the slip.
Replaced the pulleys and hey hooks, but not sure what is attached as a weight to this system.
Local slip residents offered up replacement weight as a 34lb. concrete block with 5/8 line.
Assume there will need to be a chaffing proof attachment to the concrete block.
Concerned if the weight of these blocks is not established first, I may end up with boat cleats failing.
These pulley lines are crisscrossed over the Aft Transom and attached to the boat accordingly.
Guidance from experienced sailors with this system is appreciated.

Attachments

Apr 12, 2007
Hunter 420 Herrington Harbor South
may be a system to retract your dock lines when you are out of the slip. dock line is attached to the pilling per normal then clip your new line to your dock line where attached to the cleat. Just take the line off the cleat and weight pulls the line away and out of the water. Or NOT just a thought without really seeing the whole set up. BTW I don't think you would need 35lbs for that.

Jul 12, 2011
Leopard 40 Jupiter, Florida
That is BRILLIANT! I love innovative docking solutions for your home berth. I do not think it would be worth much in a storm, but that looks like a pretty calm lake you have there. I'm with @DRhoads , it would be better if the piling-to-boat cleat line were just straight lines, and not dependent on the weight to keep the boat from moving much. What do you have on the bow?

Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
I don't think I'd trust a weight system to keep the stern in line. I can't see what other lines you have so that makes a big difference. As a way to retract our stern line it seems fine but I'd want the lines from the stern to tie to the pilings, not just be held in place by weights. In the second photo I dont' see lines other than the pully system. Not much holding the boat straight in the slip with what is shown in the picture.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
I think it' a device for keeping the boat centered by compensating for changes in water level or condition (wake, current, etc.)
Here's a commercial version, although the rigging instructions appear to be different from the homemade version. i.e. only one side moves, the other is fixed.

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2016
Catalina 22 Palm Harbor
Correct....just not sure what weight to replace the old weights along with line that will be in the water 90% of the time.