• Mobile App For Android Now Online!

Download it here. The app is searchable in the Google Play Store under Sailboat Owners.

Sorry iPhone/iPad users, we are still waiting on Apple. :(

Click the X in the upper right corner to make this go away

Fishing in Maine.

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
Despite the alarmist reports on ocean temperatures using percentages, which can be very misleading, “Data from the US National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) shows that the average global sea surface temperature – the temperature of the upper few metres of the ocean – has increased by approximately 0.13°C per decade over the past 100 years.”
I cant see how that’s going to convince all those lobsters to hightail it to Canada. :rolleyes:
Lobsters are migrating North along the New England coast at a rate of about 40 mi per decade.

Back when the center of the industry was in Southern New England waters, the Gulf of Maine was too cold to be ideal for lobsters. It's all easy to follow not just in the science but the fishing fleets that migrate as well as the species (and other species). Maine lobstermen are tied to their zones and can't 'migrate' along with the center of the industry.

Lobster like most ocean species are pretty particular about water temperature. A couple degrees might not seem like much. The American lobster prefers water in the 40 to 50F range and dies in water above 68 degrees.

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Bay Pointe, Quincy
Read Immanuel Velikovsky's "Worlds in Collision" to find perspective concerning climate change. It is out of our hands.

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
The word up and down the coast is, the lobster catch is down 40% as of the end of September compared to the same period last year. The industry is hopeful this is largely due to a late molt and the end of the season will fill in most of the decline. I hope they are right. We'll know in March when the final figures are in.

Meanwhile in Southern New England, (Peconic Bay on LI,NY), I found this news particularly disturbing: Warming ocean temperatures that drove the American Lobster into the Gulf of Maine decades ago, now see seawater temperature spikes of 80F.

Scallops are mollusks and unlike lobsters can't move very far for cooler water, and die in temps above 80F.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Scallops are mollusks and unlike lobsters can't move very far for cooler water
Have you ever been diving for scallops? When they see you coming with their rows of blue eyes, they move pretty quick and plenty far as you reach for them, so you have to be sneaky and fast. But, maybe that's just warm water bay scallops.

-Will (Dragonfly)

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Have you ever been diving for scallops? When they see you coming with their rows of blue eyes, they move pretty quick and plenty far as you reach for them, so you have to be sneaky and fast. But, maybe that's just warm water bay scallops.

-Will (Dragonfly)
Never dove for them but I used to sell them. We used to keep a few with lobsters in a touch tank in front of our fish market. Our kids would give 'shows' about shellfish out of the tank. A favorite thing to do was hold a scallop up to show the eyes and then hope it would squirt water on the bewildered listeners on the street.

I don't think they are as capable as say lobsters, more a crustacean, to move some distance to lower water temperatures off shore.

Sad for those fishermen in the Peconic Bay.

Aug 22, 2017
Hunter 26.5 West Palm Beach
The spiny lobster harvest down in Florida is a bit scant this year also. The last few years have been epic.