First Sailing Forum! getting the sailing bug to the owner ship level

Jul 28, 2023
Hunter Legend 37 Biscayne Bay
Hello sailors.

My experience with sailing/sailors has only been about 3 years, but it was been over 90% positive if not more.
Part of a local club, taken US sailing courses, lessons, participated in their SUNFISH, FLYING SCOTT and some open regatta using the club boats or friends boat.
I am impressed on how sailing for 2-5 hours with a crew of 2-5 creates such team work and bonding. It has been impressive.
Out on the water, wether it is one of the local "ferry boat" from dock to your mooring, or mooring neighbours, I have felt welcomed and encouraged to take on more and more of the sea life.
The next step, which I have taken a dive into for the past 1.5 months is boat ownership. That has been ok. I am so new and a novice at a sailboat technicalities that want to reserve my opinion for another thread and to see points of view.
Happy to become more and more part of the sailing/ocean/other community.

Luis

Jul 28, 2023
The Hunter is my friend's that is moored near where I live. I spend much more time on it than my friend lol.

• Ha
Apr 11, 2020
MacGregor 26s Scott's Landing, Grapevine TX
Very good to hear of your positive experiences with boat owners. It's an instant fraternity and with our sailing club, sorority as well!

Boat ownership can be frustrating, rewarding, and at times very expensive, as stated in the quote "A boat is a large hole in the water into which money is thrown".

In a world that seems to be spinning ever more out of control, a boat can be a man's sovereign domain. As long as the Admiral says that's OK, that is!

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
Welcome to SBO, one of the best sailing forums you can be on for free. Lots of very knowledgeable folk on here and willing to give advice/share experiences/etc. You found a good one!

i've found throughout my sailing history that sailors tend to be very helpful. I used to sail on both Sunfish and Flying Scotts, both are great fun to sail. I've friends that still have a Sunfish lying around and we'll go out and have a blast. Great little boats to begin learning how to sail.

Ask questions, be part of the community, enjoy.

dj

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Good Morning, and welcome to SBO. The step from interest into actual boat ownership and use can be fun. Weighing the cost of it is always a consideration even when “affordability” itself is not a direct factor. To get the feel of it, it’s been my view one should not start with big commitments, although some folks do. Such as buying a Catalina 42 or similar as one’s first boat. I don’t think they are getting the most out of the ownership of it b/c generally they don’t know much about sailing or boating, but can afford the boat nevertheless. At least for a while.

For active cruisers (several to many weekends out per year), it does not take long to visit all of the close sites, which eventually causes some loss of motivation to use it unless your local sites are really great ones, like Catalina Island, CA. Usage and interest can be maintained further with sailing companions, either crew or companion boaters. But you could increase use and enjoyment via day sailing and club racing, which gets increasingly difficult with increasing boat size. That is, the need or wish for able bodied crew increases.

Many boat models are presented as “racer/cruiser” with that above knowledge. The models give the prospective buyer the illusion that the yacht has dual function but in reality racing and cruising require dedicated designs and equipment to be good at either. Modern racers are relatively light-weight, have specialized sails and rigging, usually require crew weight and skill to sail properly, and lack comfort. Modern cruising yachts are designed for short-handed sailing, are heavier, and generally carry lots (ton) of gear. They are designed for endurance (many days away from services or home port) so offer more comfort, whereas the racers are not so designed. On the whole, it’s easier to get a “cruiser/racer” to race, than a “racer/cruiser” to cruise, IMO.

So what would be a good first boat? Everything depends on circumstances, etc., of course. But in the average, a 30-ft cruising boat is a decent start. That’s one reason why Catalina 30s have been so popular, although there are several models to choose from. My first cruising yacht was a Pearson 30. You can go just about anywhere you’d wish to in local areas, even extended area. (But not around the world, etc., like some imagine they will do.) Own and use (or not) a 30-ft boat for two or three years then reevaluate where to go from there.

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2023
Thanks for the replies / advice; not figured out how to use multi-quote yet.

The only direct experience of boat ownership that I have is my friend Eduardo's HUNTER LEGEND 37.
My other buddy, Gerson, and I had offered to help Eduardo with maintenance cost and mooring cost but he has said thanks but no. When ever he goes to change out a battery we offer and are usually there.
When we do hang out on the boat or sail it, we love it; been three months as his steering quadrant broke and we have not fixed it/replaced it.

As much as most owners love their boat, I see few keeping up with the minimum maintenance.
I sort of see it like motorcycles, there is basic functional maintenance, safety maintenance, and aesthetic maintenance; in too many sailboat is see all three lacking.

One boat mechanic, ferry person, local sailor has been great in advice.
-take your time, do no rush nor fall in love, it will come.
-Buy the smallest boat you are comfortable with.
-Buy it and sail it, and fix parts "as they break"
-Don't spend money on luxury equipment yet, sail it first.

Another sailor, who showed me his boat for sale.
-anything can be fixed on the water except a 2 foot hole
-He hopes I will find the right boat for me now.

The other sailor/ yacht broker, I liked his advice at the beginning but now am more cautions lol
-Boats are like women, get the one that speaks to me.
-Don't get distracted by some soft spots, all old boats have them.

Feel comfortable with all of them and understand that many sailors also have an economic interest in sailing.

If I was not moving to a new city, I would not be buying a boat at this moment.
I was happy with just doing the dinghies regattas and the sunfish.
A season of SUNFISH series was brutal fun.

I see this as my opportunity to do the LIVEABOARD and sail a larger boat.
Looks like a cruiser sailboat for me ;)
I do have some sailing friends who have 30+ footers who are limited on going out on the bay dependent on crew availability.
I do try and solo sail 1 time a month because of the above in an Ensign Person or a Winward 24; not as fun but I do enjoy the solitude at times.

The current requirements are:

-singlehanded set up; lines leading to the cockpit and a windlass.
-30 ft to 40 ft
-Keel stepped mast
-Max draft of 5'6"
-Sailable
-engine works
-shore power working with A/C in case I decide on a slip vs a mooring.
-Budget under $35k, it can be $15k and need -$5k-$10k but still need sailability /motoring.

I will be sailing SOUTH FLORIDA ( Ft Pierce to Key Largo).
Eventually venture sailing to other areas nearby ;)

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
One boat mechanic, ferry person, local sailor has been great in advice.
-take your time, do no rush nor fall in love, it will come.
-Buy the smallest boat you are comfortable with.
-Buy it and sail it, and fix parts "as they break"
-Don't spend money on luxury equipment yet, sail it first.

-30 ft to 40 ft
-Keel stepped mast
-Max draft of 5'6"
-Sailable
-engine works
-Budget under $35k, it can be $15k and need -$5k-$10k but still need sailability /motoring.

Lots of good advice!

If it were me…
- 30-35’ - bigger boats cost more in EVERY WAY. And you may be limited to only sailing when you have crew. I sail my 32’ O’Day 322 solo 95% of the time. Even then docking in a strong cross wind can be challenging.

- serviceable diesel engine - you need something reliable.

- reliable auto-pilot

- max draft 4.5 feet…water is pretty thin in South Florida…lots of 30-35’ boats with shoal drafts under 5’.

- agree with shore power and air conditioning if you are going to be in Florida (but I am a northerner and would melt down there!

- windlass is OK, but my boat doesn’t have one…I still anchor.

- Keel-stepped mast not important to me. Lots of coastal cruisers with deck-stepped masts (including mine). Yes - if I wanted a blue-water boat, it would be keel stepped.

You should be able to find lots of boats in the 30-35 foot range within your budget.

I bought my O’Day 322 for $22k. But I have bought new sails, replaced the prop shaft, added a new VHF, New Autopilot, replaced all thru-hulls, etc.

Good luck and have fun…

Florida should be a target-rich environment for boat hunting :)

Greg

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
I see this as my opportunity to do the LIVEABOARD and sail a larger boat.
Looks like a cruiser sailboat for me ;)

-30 ft to 40 ft
-Keel stepped mast
-Max draft of 5'6"
-Sailable
-engine works

you said:
"The current requirements are:
-30 ft to 40 ft
-Keel stepped mast
-Max draft of 5'6"
-Sailable
-engine works
-Budget under $35k, it can be $15k and need -$5k-$10k but still need sailability /motoring."

Comments - 30 to 40 feet is a HUGE range. Doesn't sound like much, but it is.
I'd suggest you look in the 30 to 34 foot range.
Forget keel stepped mast. It doesn't matter.
For your stated sailing area, I'd say 5 foot would be a max draft, and 4 and 1/2 would be notable better.
Sailable is good.
Singlehanded setup, well, sure, but shouldn't be a hard line requirement. You'll want to learn and do things to make the boat for you. Your budget is low.
Engine works, also good.
I'd say you want working shore power, but the AC part is such and easy addition, I wouldn't put it on the list of requirements, only a nice to have.

Your budget is pretty low...

dj

Jul 28, 2023
Only been 2 months since you guys' advice... and it is making more sense.

40ft look great and comfortable on the hard but sailing, waoh.
Been on a Gulfstar 40 and Cal 39 as crew during a regatta, and it was a work out even with 2 speed self tailing winches lol.
The reality is that for me a 40 ft is not a solo handling sailboat :( and IF I really want to sail it often and not just LIVEaboard then I have decided to look at and sail more sailboat under 35 ft.

Coming up is a Mirage 35, the owner did a ton of DIY and looks so so. The other is a Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 32. I have a really good feeing about the JSO 32. I thought it was tiller and was looking forward to a tiller for more feel but turns out it has a wheel. The seller is the owners son and knows very very little about sailing so he cant tell me much abou it. You guys think I can during reggattas swap wheel with a tiller? Wonder how the emergency tiller feels or will it be rock hard?

Thanks again for your advice, it is so surprising that 2 months ago I was so set on a 38-40 ft boat lol.
Price wise I am pretty certain I can stay under $30k as it looks like it is a buyers market.
One Cal 39 I was looking at is at $22k from $40k in January, others have come down $5k to $10k; I am very glad I have meet local sailors in Miami and in Stuart wanting to help and teach me.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
Swapping the wheel with a tiller will almost certainly not work. The pedestal will be in the way and you’d need a very short tiller to avoid that. Wheel steered boats often have an emergency tiller for use if the steering system fails, but the tiller is too short to be useful. A boat the size and weight of the SO32 would probably be an handful with a tiller anyway - it’s just not designed for that.

Jul 28, 2023
By Xmas or by next February I plan on the purchase.
From practical sailor and sailboat data the first batch JSO 32 were tiller; I would not do a retro fit it was just an idea in´ case it was for plug and play for tiller/wheel swap for régattas. A local club sailor has a JSO 36, hope I can crew in his boat .

Jul 28, 2023
I see the JSO 32 this sunday.
It has no traveller, adding a traveller to the top of the companionway should be no issue right? it is a mold injected deck.
Any of you sailed a JSO? it is a spade rudder so has no skeg, I do not think I have sailed a spade rudder lol.
Think I read that the bottom and bow is plumb shaped to it a longer water line, would it make it a water slapper out in the ocean?

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
There are always "issues". Many you don't know until it's too late! What is a water slapper?

Jul 28, 2023
There are always "issues". Many you don't know until it's too late! What is a water slapper?
might be using motorcycle lingo vs sail ..

Sailing with waves and the bow slams vs cutting into the water: "water slapper".
Tank slappers on motorcycles is when you get the front wheel shaking and the thank shakes and then you torso slaps the tank.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
Both the skeg hung rudder and the plumb bow / wave pounding are common questions in the “what is a blue water boat” debate. My perspective is that all boats make some compromises. The bow design trades some potential loss of comfort in big seas for interior space and waterline length. The spade rudder trades a little robustness for a little improved maneuverability. Unless you’re planning serious blue water trips I think these are worthwhile compromises, as you’re not likely to see conditions where you’re really subjected to the downsides. Others’ opinions may vary.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Water Slapping.. Hobby Horsing.. both of these are unpleasant. Some of this behavior can be mitigated if you adjust your course to quarter the wave instead of trying to run over the top. Or have the waves run up your stern. Seamanship is about managing the boat in the conditions you experience.

This link has a good review of boat handling in Rough Seas.