First Sailboat Buying Advice - Victoria 18 or Triton 18

RPD677

Jul 6, 2020
N/A N/A Warwick, RI
Hi Everyone,

This is my first post and I am relatively new to sailing so pardon my beginner knowledge here but I am looking for some advice. To give some background, the only solo sailing I have ever done is with a Sunfish. I am looking for something bigger to explore the local bay, I live in Rhode Island.

I've been looking for a few weeks now for a boat under $3,000 with a trailer and have come across a Pearson Triton 18 and a McVay Victoria 18. I am looking for advice based on the ideal boat for outlined below. The Pearson in particular has been difficult to find information on, I can really only ever find reviews on the larger Triton's.

Update came across a bit larger of a boat too, within my price range 1979 MacGregor Venture 222

Ideal Boat
  • Can handle the Narragansett Bay
  • Easy to trailer
  • Good to learn on
  • Room for 2-3 people in the cockpit
  • Can squeeze an overnight here or there in the cockpit
Thanks so much in advance!

- Ryan

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2018
Vandestadt & McGruer Ltd. Siren 17 Choctawhatchee Bay
If I didn't already have a boat, I would go with the Victoria vs the Triton. The Victoria would be more stable with 550 lbs of ballast, and without a keel housing, there would be more room in the cockpit and cabin. Not having to mess with raising or lowering the keel would be convenient and the higher cockpit sides would be more comfortable. But if you plan to beach the boat, the Triton would be more suitable with its swing keel, plus it would be easier to launch/recover from the trailer. Both boats look like they have room for a port-a-potty, so that's a plus.

Pearson Triton Data:
  • LOA 17' 10 1/2"
  • Beam 6' 10 1/2"
  • Displacement 800 lbs
  • Draft CB Up 6"
  • Draft CB Dn 4' 1"
  • Sail Area 154 sf
  • Hull Speed 5.29 kts/6.09 mph
  • Bridge Clearance 25'
  • Cockpit length: 7'- width: 5'

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
I don’t have any first hand knowledge of either 18 but I used to own a Mac 222 .

when my kids were young we would spend a week each summer sailing in the NC outer banks in that boat

Jul 26, 2020
Starboard Slipper 17 Greenville, MS
I don't know if you already bought your boat, but I owned a Vic, and they are beautiful boats and easy to trailer. Not as easy to sail, though, for a novice sailor. Also, the freeboard is a little low. Otherwise it would fit your needs. I don't know anything about the Tritons.

Jul 26, 2020
Starboard Slipper 17 Greenville, MS
The rigging is a bit more complicated; for example, the mainsheet is in a pulley system attached to a traveller, which is more than the boat needs in my opinion. I'm not a strong sailor, and I found the boat a lot to handle, especially on a windy day. A good sailor wouldn't have much trouble. I have sailed a ComPac 16 and Chrysler 20, both of which were easier to sail. One more note: the Vic has a nice big cockpit, but I found the last couple feet needed to be clear for the tiller to swing around.
Don't get me wrong -- the Victoria 18 is a lovely boat and well-made. I recommend it to any decent sailor.

Aug 2, 2005
Pearson 33-2 & Typhoon 18 Seneca Lake
Hello RPD677 and welcome to the SBO forums! Have your boat search adventures included this site in the classifieds, Craigslist, sailboatlistings, and boattrader? Take your time and see as many boats as you can in your area.

RE: boat information. Have you looked on sailboatdata.com ? That site will offer dimensions and weights on many, many sailboats. There might even be some diagrams to show interior and exterior views.

From what I know of the boats you mentioned they each have "the look". The sleek appearance of the hull and the stern shape each are appealing to observe. Best Wishes and stay healthy, 31seahorse

PaulK

Dec 1, 2009
Sabre 402 Southport, CT
The Victoria looks like an older design (1977) and the keel might make launching and retrieving a problem at many ramps. The heavier weight might also call for a heftier tow vehicle than what you now have. Sailing, the long keel and small rudder look like they might make maneuvering tricky coming in to tight situations - or make situations trickier than they'd have to be if you can't turn quickly. The Pearson is lighter and shallower with the board up, so getting it in and out of the water might be easier. The centerboard on the Pearson appears to be tucked neatly under the cockpit sole and extending into the cabin. It is deep when down, but short, so pivoting quickly in tight spots might be easier. The good-sized rudder, placed all the way aft on the transom, should make handling responsive.

Aug 12, 2018
Hunter 26 Carter Lake, Colorado
The Victoria 18 specs that I've seen indicate that neither weight (1200# plus trailer plus gear) or draft (2') should be a problem for trailering behind most vehicles that are properly equipped for towing 2000#.

I have no personal experience with the model, so I can't comment on any other pros or cons.

Jun 25, 2004
Corsair F24 Mk1 003 San Francisco Bay, CA
This isn’t an answer to your question, but it’s practical advice that’s relevant.

For $3000, condition will be more important than anything else. Buy the boat that is in the very best condition.
You are buying a 45 year old boat and trailer for under $3000,, and there are bound to be maintence issues that need fixing which costs money and time. fiberglass lasts almost forever, but everything else on a sailboat falls apart.

what would you expect to get for your on a 45 year old car? A $3000 truck? It’s not a dissimilar question.

If it’s your first boat, be aware that most old boats require $1500-$3000 in addition to the purchase price to address deferred maintenance. You may need Tires, Springs, trailer rollers, trailer lights, Sails, Uv-damaged blocks, structural,repairs to decks, etc