First 36.7 holding tank upgrade - Where to get a bigger tank?

May 11, 2009
2 MK IV Warwick, RI
I have the stock 10 gallon tank and have read that a 20 gallon would fit in the same space.

Is there a standard tank available that can be swapped in, or will I have to have one custom made?

Thanks...

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Ronco Plastics Ronco Plastics marine Tanks (no relation to the VegoMatic Ronco) is your best source for a tank. They make TOP quality thick-walled water and waste tanks for a very reasonable price and has more than 400 shapes and sizes, over 100 of which are non-rectangular, and they install fittings in the sizes and locations specified by the customer when they make the tank.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
We swapped the 10g unit for a 25g Todd Tank. Ronco might have been a better choice. HUGE difference in autonomy. We had to modify the bracing and straps under the vee-berth. You do NOT want that thing coming loose. I had visions of the wall of blood from 'The Shining', but crap. I would have abandoned the boat.

May 11, 2009
2 MK IV Warwick, RI
Thanks everyone, I'll go to the boat with a tape measure and see what I can fit.

Nov 8, 2010
Thanks everyone, I'll go to the boat with a tape measure and see what I can fit.
When you measure, be sure to allow for top fittings and hoses. The area is wide but not overly tall, and the fittings will shave inches off of available room.

Oct 25, 2011
Island Packet IP31 Lake St. Louis, Montreal
On the Ronco site, you can find their tank dimensions. It might be worthwhile to build a cardboard mockup of the tank to make sure you can get it below and it will fit., They will also let you define the tank fitting locations.

They were great to deal with when I ordered my tank

Matt

May 11, 2009
2 MK IV Warwick, RI
When you measure, be sure to allow for top fittings and hoses. The area is wide but not overly tall, and the fittings will shave inches off of available room.
I was actually wondering if I could get a tank that was mostly rectangular but had a few inches of step down at one end where the hoses could go.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
We swapped the 10g unit for a 25g Todd Tank. Ronco might have been a better choice. HUGE difference in autonomy
Also in wall thickness. Ronco's smallest tanks are about 3/8" and get thicker with size starting at around 40 gallons...corners are about 50% thicker. I haven't tried it, but I strongly suspect their tanks would only bounce if dropped off a two story building onto cement

I was actually wondering if I could get a tank that was mostly rectangular but had a few inches of step down at one end where the hoses could go.
Drawings for all non-rectangular tanks are in their catalog. Keep in mind that any tank can be oriented in any directions...'cuz there is no top or bottom till the fittings go in, and you'll decide where they go. So rotate, flip end for end for end, check every which way.

Ronco's standard fittings put the threaded nipple outside the tank...if you want them flush, remember to specify that.
You'll need at least 5" clearance above the top of the tank to put the inlet and discharge fittings on the top. Vent fitting needs about 3 inches clearance.

It might be worthwhile to build a cardboard mockup of the tank to make sure you can get it below and it will fit., They will also let you define the tank fitting locations.
Good suggestion. 'Twould also be smart to make sure the tank will fit through the companionway hatch. I once had a customer who built his mockup while IN the boat...perfect fit for his v-berth location. But when it arrived, he couldn't get into the boat.
When you're ready to order, we should prob'ly discuss the best locations for the fittings...prob'ly NOT where they are on the existing tanks 'cuz boat builders, even the best ones, are the worst sanitation plumbers on the planet! My book (see link in my signature) also covers this in detail.

Peggie
"If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't completely understand it yourself." --Albert Einstein

Nov 8, 2010
You mean a lower area of the top to put the fittings? It would probably effect the notion of what a 'full' tank was as much as if it was shorter all over. But Peggy might know.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Wouldn't work because as as the tank fills up the lower "step"--even due to heeling--waste would overflow into the vent line and toilet discharge line--which can be enough of an issue when fitting are in the wrong location on any tank. So you'd be dealing with all the problems that would cause in addition to losing a lot of capacity. Fittings need to be as high on the tank as possible--preferably ON the top of the tank if there's enough clearance above it.

Find a tank that you think will work, then send me a PM and I'll be glad to help you spec the fittings locations where they won't cause problems instead of preventing 'em.

May 11, 2009
2 MK IV Warwick, RI
Fantastic info, especially the part about the hoses needing to be at the absolute top. Peggy, I'll check your book and take your advice.

Thanks everyone!

Oct 25, 2011
Island Packet IP31 Lake St. Louis, Montreal
When I did our tank, I bought the dip tube for the pump out from Ronco as well. Using a dip tube you can locate the pumo-out fitting on top of the tank as well. Our tank has been installed since the spring of 2012 ans we have had exactly zero issues with it..