Finish for Zodiak floorboards?

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Tim Cobb

Hello, I am in the process of restoring the floorboards for my 12' zodiak and am getting some conflicting advice from different sources. No matter what I do it seems that there is always some water under the floorboards so I need something that will hold up to the moisture. Something very durable. I don't like the idea of the maintenence with varnish. Paint maybe? Someone suggested straight fiberglass resin. Cheap and durable? Please help. Thank you. Tim Cobb

B

Bob Camarena

Venting

Regardless of the type of finish you decide on, you might want to think about installing some vents in the floor boards to allow some ventilation below. It should help minimize the deterioration problem. Straight resin isn't UV resistant, so if you seal with resin, you'll still need some sort of topcoat.

L

LaDonna Bubak - Planet Catalina

epoxy would work

Epoxy should work perfectly but, as Bob mentioned, you will need some sort of uv protectant. Whatever you use, make sure there some UV protection in it. If you want to go with paint, try EasyPoxy or Brightsides over the epoxy. Good luck! LaDonna

T

Tim Cobb

Thanks Bob and LaDonna

I like the idea of keeping the natural look w/the resin along with the durability any ideas. If I went with either of the paint you mentioned would it be overkill with the resin? The venting sounds easy enough. Thanks, Tim

L

LaDonna Bubak - Planet Catalina

Not overkill

I don't think it would be overkill as the easypoxy, etc probably wouldn't keep with water out of the boards for long periods. LaDonna

Status
Not open for further replies.