Finding Obscure Sailboat Items (and a sorry story to go with it).

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
The used chandleries, as mentioned above, are your best bet.
Oh, would that it were so. I love wasting time in used chandlers. I often manage to buy something good that I don’t really need. But, the truth be told, I cannot remember ever finding that NEEDED piece of hardware specific to my yacht!!
One of my daughters is a biologist and she is often tells people... "Venomous snakes have slit shaped pupils and non-venomous snakes have round pupils. "

My response was... so! You get up close and look in their eyes... and if you get bit in the face, they are probably poisonous :facepalm:
You could look into the mouths of nurse and requiem sharks to see other diagnostic differences as well; if it tears your head off, then it’s one of the dangerous ones!

Last edited:

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
Oh, would that it were so. I love wasting time in used chandlers. I often manage to buy something good that I don’t really need. But, the truth be told, I cannot remember ever finding that NEEDED piece of hardware specific to my yacht!!
When I need something like this, I'll send out emails to a dozen or so of them around the nation and usually do OK.
There's a huge one in Texas and Sailorman in Lauderdale, just as examples.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
When I need something like this, I'll send out emails to a dozen or so of them around the nation and usually do OK.
There's a huge one in Texas and Sailorman in Lauderdale, just as examples.
I've made it thru West Marine (that's all we have) stores without buying anything. What's wrong with me? :redface:

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Maybe you have a mutated viral strain.
Created by a wives club of boat owners.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
I've made it thru West Marine (that's all we have) stores without buying anything. What's wrong with me? :redface:
You obviously have a computer and an internet connection. If you seriously want to find the part, get to work, as I suggested above.
West Marine is a boutique marine store. I rarely expect to find much in there that I can use at a fair price. There are plenty of real marine chandleries online, from Defender to MAURIPRO Sailing which can supply most of your needs at a very fair price. Pumps can be had from companies like Depco and you'll not have to pay inflated 'marine' prices. Stay away from Homedepot and the like as little they sell is marinized, so it rarely lasts.
http://www.depcopump.com/

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
You obviously have a computer and an internet connection. If you seriously want to find the part, get to work, as I suggested above.
West Marine is a boutique marine store. I rarely expect to find much in there that I can use at a fair price. There are plenty of real marine chandleries online, from Defender to MAURIPRO Sailing which can supply most of your needs at a very fair price. Pumps can be had from companies like Depco and you'll not have to pay inflated 'marine' prices. Stay away from Homedepot and the like as little they sell is marinized, so it rarely lasts.
Depco Pump Company
definitely. I was trying say I could be a "tourist" when we visit cities with marine part stores and not impulse ship. Most everything I buy for the boat is online....after I research the best solution.

Jul 28, 2013
Hunter 34 Lake Norman
you could try boater resale shop of Texas they seem to have lots of old stuff.

WayneH

Jan 22, 2008
Tartan 37 287 Pensacola, FL
I used to scrub hulls in Freeport, TX. WINTER visibility when the algae was gone was 4-5 feet. Seriously, you could not see your fins when you looked down. But scrubbing hulls attracted angelfish and sheepheads for the free handouts. If I didn't see fish after 5 minutes, I got out of the water for a while. Of course, those times I did bail, I would see dolphins in the area. Whew!