Finally! The adventure begins!

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
Well, many weeks have gone by, and in retrospect it has become a blur. Lots of wildlife thru GA and SC. The usual ICW trouble spots, some of which have been dredged, and some of which we confirmed that out-of-the-channel "detours" work well. Thanks to Bob Scherer, who posts on AC as "bob423', and was about 4 days ahead of us through this section.

We spent a week in Beaufort NC, being loaned a slip (at no charge) by a friend of my dad's. We spent 7 days with family, enjoying air conditioning, showers, and ice, not to mention my dad's pool and hot tub. It was cool to be back in the summer stomping grounds of my youth. Also had a blast one afternoon playing catch with my dad (who is about to turn 83), my wife, my stepbrother, and his son (age 11). Everybody also took a turn at bat. It was bittersweet, with 3 generations, involved, but also with the knowledge that the likelihood of playing catch with my dad again is pretty low.

On Wednesday, we motored to Oriental, "the sailing capital of NC". Tiny little town, but we had two days on the free town docks. There is a marine consignment store within walking distance of the docks, but I couldn't confirm it was open, so I didn't get to go. I have a list of things I'm looking for, but the next store may be Bacon's in Annapolis.

We are anchored tonight a few miles east of Belhaven, in Scranton Creek. Hoping for a good star night, as the light pollution should be minimal. We will stop short of Albemarle sound tomorrow, as it will be a little bumpy, then aim for Coinjock on Sunday, arriving late afternoon. Should be in Norfolk on Monday afternoon if all goes well and the bridges and locks don't conspire against us.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
I have a list of things I'm looking for, but the next store may be Bacon's in Annapolis....
What do you need? I live close to Bacons and could always use a trip there. Let me know if you need a ride.

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Today we are in Coinjock. Last night we stopped just south of the Albemarle Sound, and I found myself thinking of the lyrics to the Stealer's Wheel song.

Clowns to the left of me:
20180602_184141.jpg

Jokers to the right:

20180602_185636.jpg

And here I am stuck in the middle. The rain did catch us, and it was cold - a welcome relief from the heat, and I was glad to have a shower on the foredeck.

On an unrelated note, yesterday was apparently the one day of the year that these creatures mate, and they were EVERYwhere. So in honor of @Will Gilmore, here is a tour of the Pungo and Alligator Rivers:

20180602_122809.jpg

20180602_124316.jpg

20180602_145123adj.jpg

20180602_150351adj.jpg

20180602_145707.jpg

IMG_20180602_124720001_BURST001adj.jpg

Last edited:

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
A belated update:

We took the boat as far as Washington DC, where we saw the sights for 12 days. We then headed back south, leaving the boat near St. Augustine FL on July 15. We have not been back to the boat since then, as we spent 10 weeks in Ecuador, and the remainder of the time relaxing.

We leave tomorrow to go back to the boat, and move it to Miami, where we may winter (we are thinking of a mooring ball at Dinner Key, but Marathon is a possibility as well).

The experience was not what we thought it would be, and we are glad to know that. It reinforces the notion that the only way to know what cruising is like (for you) is to go cruise. We are going to give it another few months, but if I had to guess, I'd say the odds are that we will sell the boat in the next 8 months. There are multiple reasons for this, and all of our "complaints" (that is too strong a word) can be addressed. However, at this point we don't see that the value of the experience is worth the costs (which are of course paid in a lot of currencies, only one of which is money).

The things we can easily change (spending longer in each place, interacting socially with the folks in an anchorage, etc.) we will. The things that are related specifically to our boat, we will not change (unless we come to a different point of view) and we are uninterested in changing boats. It has been an experience that has enriched our lives, tested our relationship, improved our teamwork and communication, and shown us that we love living outside. We wouldn't change a thing, and we love the fact that we are doing it on the cheap. We agree with the Pardeys: go simple, go small, but go now. You will never know if you don't go.

Mar 20, 2011
Hunter 31_83-87 New Orleans
Thanks for the update and sharing your experiences. If you don’t mind, I’d like to PM you and discuss what worked, what didn’t and what u would improve upon with our type of boat. One area is the galley, ice box set up for days away. I’m looking to head Florida way this spring in my H31. Again Thanks, Jerry

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Happy to talk at length with you Jerry. PM me with a phone number, and I'll call you midweek. It will take tomorrow and Monday to stand up the boat again, so I'll have my hands full.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
SFS,
Your post is a little sad, but there are lots of ways to enjoy and enrich ourselves in this world. I'm thrilled for you, having been able to have such great adventures.
we love living outside.
I whole heatedly agree. Before my family moved aboard. We, the five of us, loaded into a VW poptop camper, 1972, and took 4+ months to circumnavigate the lower 48 states. What a wonderful time. My favorite spots were the deserted campgrounds where you put 2 bucks into a coffee can at the gate and never saw another sole, even the collection staff.
We did a great trip to Ecuador, van with a guide around Quito and the surrounding countryside, and the Galapagos once. My oldest was entering 6th grade, I think. He filmed like he was David Attenborough, his hero, and the naturalist guide insisted our son was going to grow up and be famous some day. Our guide, Boli, got everyone up and out on the various trails, walks and sights so early, we were meeting the other groups stepping off their boats while we were stepping on to ours, on our way out. One boat leaving, 3-4 arriving.
It's a beautiful World and the best way to experience it is as simply as possible.

-Will (Dragonfly)

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Will, we are not sad, and in fact, we realize we are incredibly lucky. In addition, our adventure on the boat may not be over. We will collect more data in the coming weeks. I just wanted to present our impressions to this point.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
SFS, I was saying I was a little sad to read you might be selling your boat. It does, however, sound like you know how to live and that is exciting.
I'm glad to read that you're not sad, though.
:beer: cheers and salut.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Thank you for your shared moments here @SFS. I especially liked your recent interaction with the Dragon Fly.

What we plan and what we chose to do is a journey of many turns. Already your path has taken you to experiences few enjoy.

Oct 3, 2011
Anam Cara Catalina 310 Hull #155 155 Lake Erie/Catawba Island
If you read the "Mantras" in our signature.. one is from William Wallace:
"We all die but not everyone truly lives! "
There is no do over... Expierence all you can There are lots of people that are NOT as blessed as we are!

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Ok, we are back in St. Petersburg. We have officially put the boat up for sale.

Edit - the boat sold today.

Last edited: