Ferrule with Euro style

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
Do ferrules help or hurt when using euro style terminal blocks. Especially with sizes 20ga and smaller.

Thanks
Les

May 20, 2016
Ferrules are crimped wire ends (like ring terminals) that have a rod shaped end.
here is anArticle
84F34D63-8958-4A53-87C6-7459AAD85E43.jpeg
euro terminal strips are the ones you insert the bare wire (or ferrule) in the side and screw down from top to clamp the wire n place. ABYC requires this type of connection to use a plate to transfer clamping force, and not thescrew end directly on the wire.
AF59424D-870D-4632-8432-945ED74E06A0.jpegA22E5DBB-72BC-47F9-8462-96F15226194D.jpeg

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2013
Catalina 50 Seattle
Assuming the ferrules are properly sized for both the wire and the insulation and properly crimped on the wire, they do a good job of transferring bending strain to the insulated portion of the wire. If you've got some throwback style strip that screws directly to the wire without the clamping plate, they help protect the wire itself too.

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
Good quality Euro strips are supposed to have a "pressure plate" that contacts the wire. A Euro strip with only screws (no pressure-plate) is disallowed under the ABYC standards. You also want to find a Eurostrip that uses nickel plated set screws and blocks (see below). Zinc plating holds up horribly in the marine environment and this is how most cheap Eurostrips are made...

Ferrules can help but do be very careful buying them as many are made of cheap aluminum and the crimping tools are often horrible quality. If not getting high quality tinned copper ferrules, and you don't have a high quality ferrule crimper, you're better off just using a well made Eurostrip that is built to a marrine standard using nickel plating and that has a pressure plate.

This is what a good quality Eurostrip looks like when cut in half. Note the screw does not directly impinge on the finely stranded wire.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
On the subject, I personally HATE those kind of terminal strips. For fine wires I prefer to connectorize them. A good example is the wires for masthead instruments. I use RJ45 telco/ethernet connectors, and even got some waterproof housings for them.

May 20, 2016
On the subject, I personally HATE those kind of terminal strips. For fine wires I prefer to connectorize them. A good example is the wires for masthead instruments. I use RJ45 telco/ethernet connectors, and even got some waterproof housings for them.
I don’t care for them either, but BlueSea and Others use them. I even have removed the “terminal blocks” on the boat and put either ring or weatherpak connectors on instead.

May 23, 2016
O'Day 1984 23 Island Park, NY
+1 What mainesail said.
Note that in residential breaker panels there are usually screws that DO impine directly on stranded wire... not good for any environment with significant vibration, eg on a boat... The construction mainesail shows is better by miles...