Female Sailboat Owners....

Dec 1, 1999
Hunter 28.5 Chesapeake Bay
In a recent post I put up about a course I am considering for new owners of sailboats, a number of responses touched on real or imagined issues affecting female sailors. I continue to be amazed at how few female sailboat owners I know or am aware of. I do know of a few female surveyors and dinghy/one design racers, however. Do you know female sailboat owners? So why does there seem to be so few female owners -- or even posters on this site?

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
I know a bunch.

I co-own two boats with my SO, technically I own the 26 footer and she legally owns the 36 footer. People look right through her and talk to me about both boats. She is an excellent sailor.

One of my best friends took her boat to the J/22 worlds this summer. She gets very little respect at our yacht club, save for the few who really know her.

A good friend of mine is a respected deliver captain. She has to get letter of recommendation from men before she is awarded some jobs.

I'd figure most of the disrespect comes from men who don't understand their actions. Most of it it patronizing. The rest is just downright rude.

As a rule I see very few woman on most types of BBS boards, regardless of purpose. Its not indicative of population, or ability.

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
Years ago I met a woman who owned and skippered an 80' yacht. I was working in a boat yard, and we launched the beautiful yacht early one morning. As I was fueling the boat, a nicely dressed older woman boarded the yacht. Soon after, an old fisherman I had been talking to on and off for a few days walked onto the fuel dock. As we stood admiring the boat, he asked if I would like a tour! We worked our way up to the bridge, and the lady stated that they were ready to cast off. She proceeded to back the yacht off the dock, as I tossed the lines to the old guy. He kind of laughed at the look on my face. It wasn't that the lady was driving the boat, I'd seen that before, but I'd never seen a millionaire dressed in old jeans and tattered sneakers before.

Tim R.

May 27, 2004
Caliber 40 Long Range Cruiser Portland, Maine
There are 4 single women here at the marina that each have their own sailboats and live aboard year round. One of them sail year round and was out last weekend.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
I'm the BMW for the female owner of the boat I am privileged to sail on.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Yeah we have a few here in Greenport. One, I know of, has crossed oceans sailing and was merchant marine. Another built her own schooner. One was a live aboard who did more or less the Roger thing. And that's just a few that I happen to know about. There are many stories I'm sure I don't know about. Dismissing the ability of women is always a mistake.

Sep 3, 2011
O Day O Day 28 Michigan City, In.
There is an 82 year old women at our marina in Michigan City, IN. Who sails her own 34 Catalina. She is always promoting women sailing their own boats. She handles the boat very well and takes women from our marina out as crew. She has taught me a few things about seamanship.

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
well ya know we have a full time live aboard female sailor on this board that has 2 boats and is not bashful about sailing one bit or saying what she thinks and it will be interesting to hear /read what she has to say on the subject.....

regards

woody

Oct 17, 2011
Ericson 29 Southport..
I think Zee is up to her elbows in Perkins right now. A woman with grease under her nails, whatcha wanna bet?

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
A Curiosity..

..at least to me is that the female sailors I know tend to have been raised and educated in the north east of the US. Is it the colleges with sailing schools, yacht clubs with junior programs or just chance? Anyhow, it is skewed so much, there is something going on. I do know plenty of female sailors though, and many own their own boats. Power boaters too.

Jul 25, 2009
Catalina 1989 C30 Mk II Herrington Harbour South, MD
My late wife was a far better helmsperson than I am and had a much better feel for the boat than me.

Jul 28, 2010
Boston Whaler Montauk New Orleans
..at least to me is that the female sailors I know tend to have been raised and educated in the north east of the US. Is it the colleges with sailing schools, yacht clubs with junior programs or just chance? Anyhow, it is skewed so much, there is something going on. I do know plenty of female sailors though, and many own their own boats. Power boaters too.
I'm not sure I would agree, at least from where I am. The last two sailiong directors of ur yacht club were women. The last one has returned to living aboard with her family sailing the Carribean. Several of the members own boats, and even more race on boats as skippers and crew. The club's junior clinics and camps have as any girls as boys. Then again, it's not an equal number, but it's not desparate by any stretch. And I think in general, there aren't as many women in any industry. (Well, maybe a few. ;))

Mar 1, 2012
1961 Rhodes Meridian 25 Texas coast
Three in my marina. All single ladies.

One carries a 200 ton license and has papers as an able seaman on square riggers. Lived aboard for 12 years, til Hurricane Ike took her boat. She now has a smaller one (and a new job).

WayneH

Jan 22, 2008
Tartan 37 287 Pensacola, FL
It's the Admiral's boat. She did all the research and the haggling about price. She just lets me move it around and fix things when they break. "Don't work so fast. I can't see what you're doing!!!!"

JohnS

Sep 25, 2008
Islander (Wayfarer/McGlasson) 32 St Georges Harbor
Over on a recording studio forum I frequent, a similar question was asked re: women studio engineers. One commenter stated:

I went to an all male military school as a kid. We desperately wanted to be around women but when we were the conversation still deteriorated to the same crap you would hear when it was just the guys. And wouldn't you know it, pretty soon it WAS just the guys! The girls would leave and we would wonder what their issue was.​

That's not a problem on this board, but around many boatyards, clubhouses, etc,….

Oct 9, 2008
Bristol 29.9 Dana Point
It's her boat, she knows it and so does everyone else.
You named the boat NancyB. I love that. Beautiful boat. I wish I were the one sailing next to her offshore Dana Point, instead of harbor-locked in this winterized idiocy.

Fran says hey to you both.

Jun 8, 2004
Catalina 320 Dana Point
I thought it prudent to name this one after her Skipper, wish you guys were here for the Christmas parade. The boat that took the picture was that C400 "Mardi Gras" if you remember it ? I kind of ambushed him and tried to see how long I could hold him off.

RECESS

Dec 20, 2003
Pearson 323 . St. Mary's Georgia
My wife is a sailor. I can say that many of the guys that have wives that are not into sailing is because it conflicts with their activities that they have had long before sailing came into their lives.