Female Sailboat Owners....

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
There are many female sailboat owners--they're called co-owners.
Well sure... legally. Just like your wife is the 'co-owner' of your bowling ball. ;^)

Tim R.

May 27, 2004
Caliber 40 Long Range Cruiser Portland, Maine
Of all the year round live-aboards at our marina, 3 boats are single men, 3 boats are single women, 1 couple the woman and man each own a sailboat, the other couple jointly owns the boat.

Maybe the demographic changes when it comes to living aboard.

Sep 6, 2011
I think men just assume when they see a couple on a boat. If you stop to ask sometimes you may be surprised. No northeastern connection for either of us.

Usually it's checking in where you are chastised and told not to come ashore until the captain comes to check in. It gets funny from there.
SC

LuzSD

Feb 21, 2009
Catalina 30 San Diego/ Dana Point, Ca.
What great timing for this conversation! Last week I attended the 25th Anniversary Women's Sailing Conference that was attended by probably 250 women. Among those teaching classes, keynote speaker and attending we're many woman who have cruised the world, compete regularly in races both local and off shore and many are those I race with weekly. Some are wives of sailors too, but most of us are sailors with or without husbands! In other words, we may be co-owners of our boats but we also sail independently of our partners. In our harbor we have 3 boats with all women crews and they have each trophied in the Ensenada race multiple times. At my table for dinner at the conference sat a sailor who double handed the transpacific a couple years ago with another female sailor.

Interestingly, women came from as far as Canada and New York to gather together... And then they go back to their homes and start their own conferences to teach and mentor the women sailors in their area. by the way... not many of these gals had mechanics hands, but they were all smart women.

Aug 20, 2010
Oday 27 Oak Orchard
I do hope more women will explore sailing as a means of enjoyment. I know one at our marina who is the sole owner of her boat and single hands quite frequently. I have also known other females who raced and cruised some who were quite successful racers. With the male population dropping out it may be a matter of survival for many marinas and chandleries without an increase in female sailors. C'mon ladies, go for it. The gals here are a resource you can't beat. That's just in case there are interlopers stalking these pages.

Oct 10, 2009
Catalina 27 Lake Monroe
My favorite sailor is an 80 year old woman at our club who sails a Catalina 22. Up until a few years ago, she solo sailed regularly, but now she has a mate, a 60 year old whipper snapper, who sails with her. Totally self taught, two years ago she took lessons on heavy weather handling from one of our instructors. She told me she was tired of sitting in her slip, afraid to go out when other boats were out there beating hard to weather in a stiff breeze. And she pays for boat maintenance help with Fat Tire Ale, to boot!

And then there is our present commodore, who although a little younger, is also a frequent solo sailor.

May 25, 2004
Hunter 25.5 Panama City, FL
Well ,my name is first on the title but he has not been on my boat since I bought it. He does support me for my love of sailing even though he does not. Awesome hubby I have.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Well ,my name is first on the title but he has not been on my boat since I bought it. He does support me for my love of sailing even though he does not. Awesome hubby I have.
awesome.