Fear of sailing at night?

Jun 8, 2004
C&C Frigate 36 St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia
I love sailing at night, but fishing gear up here in Nova Scotia (Maine too) is always a concern. Our first boat, a Vega 27, was full keel and we didn't worry too much about gear. I remember one night I was out for a sail with a neigbour on my home waters, which I know well, so I was only keeping a relaxed watch. We were having an engrossing conversation about something when Al says: "You realize we haven't moved in 5 minutes?". Sails were full, 10 degrees of heel, and we were stuck in a fishing net. I just eased the sails, put the helm over, and we sailed right out again. Another time in a later boat that was fin keel and spade rudder, we were departing Penobscot Bay, heading for home across the Gulf of Maine. We were in deep water with Seal Island and Manticus abaft abeam and there were still lobster pot floats going by in the glow of the starboard running light. That memory gives me the heebee jeebees. I'm back to a full keel boat again, so I am looking forward to more night sails (by not motoring, if I can avoid it).

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
Perhaps you need to remove the sun glasses.

My trick in running at night is to follow a cabin cruiser and follow the wake. Those guys usually are traveling at a much higher speed and tend to use line cutters in their twin props. Like a down field blocker, I let them run interference clearing out the crab pots and logs that find their way between the navigation markers.
I learned early in my career not to follow other vessels.
We were entering the pass to Rotoava, Fakarava, the largest coral atoll in the Tuamotus. The chart just showed a big blank white space inside the pass and the area was strewn with huge coral heads. I saw a cargo ship ahead and figured I could follow him in as he certainly had a deeper draft than I.
As time progressed things seemed odd because he didn't seem to be progressing very fast. At about a mile off, I picked up the binos and had a look. What I saw was quite unexpected. That "ship" was a rusty old hulk and had probably been aground there for twenty years! I immediately turned around and did my own thing, arriving at Rotoava a few hours later.
Though this might be a rather extreme example, I always figure that the guy I would be following may not know squat and be headed into dangerous waters.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I suspect a fool might follow another vessel with out regard for route or speed into the unknown.

That was not my action nor recommendation.

On the other hand if you know the route you want to follow and another vessel it headed in the same direction, then letting him clean the path of crab pots and other flotsam seems reasonable. And if he should succumb to the powers of the water, then you are in a position to render assistance in a safe manner.

Heading into an unknown anchorage, through a challenging passage noted to be dotted with coral heads (brommies) would keep me at see till the sun angle was such to allow visibility and safe passage.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
I suspect a fool might follow another vessel with out regard for route or speed into the unknown.

That was not my action nor recommendation.

On the other hand if you know the route you want to follow and another vessel it headed in the same direction, then letting him clean the path of crab pots and other flotsam seems reasonable. And if he should succumb to the powers of the water, then you are in a position to render assistance in a safe manner.

Heading into an unknown anchorage, through a challenging passage noted to be dotted with coral heads (brommies) would keep me at see till the sun angle was such to allow visibility and safe passage.
I absolutely agree. Sun at my back and I can progress fairly safely in clear water, but as soon as it is overhead, down goes the anchor until the sun is at my back again.

• Helpful
Oct 29, 2016
Pearson 31-2 Bras D'or
Doing a passage several years ago, expecting 30 hours non-stop. Crew ready, the weather good, but a bit of fog at departure. As the sun set there was concern about vis but as luck was on our side, right on cue, the brightest new moon popped up. Sea settled to 1-2 meters and 33 hours later we tied up. It was such a welcome sight, I always check the moons cycle for night Passage, the 1-2 meters waves are also appreciated.