FCC online nightmare

Aug 20, 2010
Oday 27 Oak Orchard
Is this some kind of bureaucratic joke? I finally broke down and bought a VHF radio. Next trick is to get a license since I will be heading for Canada. Yes I know the U.S. doesn't require a marine radio license for pleasure craft but Canada does require one for boats entering their waters who will be using it there. So going to FCC.gov yields a plethora of $hit that goes round and round trying to file electronically all the myriad forms. Best part is there doesn't seem to be any type of dollar value for the fee required. I am about ready to send the thing back to the store as I go sailing to escape the idiocy of the world and not contribute to or participate in it.

Apr 27, 2010
Beneteau 352 Hull #276 Ontario
From what I understand I had to get my ROC (Radio Operators Certificate) . Consists of a test and one time fee. Then I also needed my station license which is a yearly $35 fee so that I can cross into US waters legally. If I stay in Canadian waters I don't need any documentation.

Aug 20, 2010
Oday 27 Oak Orchard
I am having the same fiasco Joker. What I find annoying is the mutual foolishness each of our countries is imposing on the other. I might just get the Canadian license and to hell with our FCC. Worst part is we have always enjoyed a great deal of camaraderie among sailors from both sides of the mythical line. Shame our respective governments are making this more difficult than it used to be or needs to be.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Here's a datapoint for you. We sail into Canada all the time, both for pleasure and regattas. We have never applied for (or worried about) about a Ship Station Licence for the boat. Neither have any of the other boats from our area that make the trip(s). I've privately asked a Canadian CGer about it, and he hold me that they generally give pleasure boats a pass on the reg unless they need something to bust them for.

BTW think all the forms and info you need is here.

https://transition.fcc.gov/Forms/Form605/605.html

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2010
Oday 27 Oak Orchard
Thanks Jackdaw. I found a step by step on a defunct store website that works. I went through the process and it's like dealing with the mafia. You have to complete the application to get the price. (How much does it cost? How much you got? type of thing.) It turns out it costs $65 for life for the same boat owned by the same person. The regulatory fee seems to be waived unless you meet certain commercial criteria. I'm going to go ahead and bite the bullet on this one I think. If it all goes kerphlewie I'll go ahead and risk not having it.

Aug 20, 2010
Oday 27 Oak Orchard
Nope not exempt from regulatory fees. Total cost is $215. Almost twice what I paid for the radio.

Apr 27, 2010
@Jackdaw, That may be the case and most coast guard agencies on both sides may ignore the regs. I've never been asked either for any radio license documentation when crossing back and forth but if you get an official that wants to make a name for themselves they can take your boat and make life difficult.
Quite a few sailors here don't know that to enter the port of Toronto, requires a Port Harbour License. Again its a test and an annual fee .

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
@Jackdaw, That may be the case and most coast guard agencies on both sides may ignore the regs. I've never been asked either for any radio license documentation when crossing back and forth but if you get an official that wants to make a name for themselves they can take your boat and make life difficult.
TAKE MY BOAT? For not having a VHF licence on a pleasure craft? A doc that they do not ever require their OWN registered boats to have?

Can you quote the reg that would allow that level of response?

Aug 20, 2010
Oday 27 Oak Orchard
Hey Joker, does that Toronto Port License apply to U.S. sailors as well? That is going to make it tough to visit there if so. Mississauga and Bowmanville are on this years to do list but being that close to Toronto is possible if I don't have to jump through too many regs. This is similar to calling Customs when crossing the border at mid lake requirement. Most of the Canadians I have talked to were unaware of the requirement or were ignoring it also. The whole thing is just getting tougher and tougher to comply with.

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
Jackdaw, if you venture into foreign waters you are now surrendering your US privileges and become the property of that foreign entity. Not saying that the US would start a war with Canada because you sailed into their waters and did not follow their rules, but...

So I decided to see if I can get a license for my boat. It has VHF and I plan on putting Amateur HF (since I have a HAM license already). So far it requires only two forms, 605 Main and 605b. There are some questions on the forms that I have to do some research on but for the most part seems straight forward. Maybe the nightmare will begin for me when I submit the forms to the FCC. We will see.

Apr 27, 2010
Last edited:
Aug 20, 2010
Oday 27 Oak Orchard
Thanks yet again Joker. I would assume this would include U. S. vessels after reading through it since there was no exclusion specified. Man alive this is getting tough on the Lakes. So close to a foreign country for each and yet so far it seems. I think we need consolidated rules for both sides to simplify everything. And to think none of this was necessary a few decades ago. Just pull in, say hi on the phone and have a ball. :(

Aug 20, 2010
Oday 27 Oak Orchard
Canada IS a separate country - please respect our laws.

druid
I thought we were suburbs of one another.:wink: This is why I asked to clarify the radio licensing, so I could comply. I have Transport Canada on my speed dial for ensuring I have all my T's crossed and I's dotted. Great bunch for enduring my endless questions on the various requirements.

Apr 27, 2010
One last comment is that port license consists of about 200 multiple choice questions and a practical test.

Aug 20, 2010
Oday 27 Oak Orchard
Holy smoke Joker. I'll come close but find an easier port. Very welcome Stu. I hope it helps others navigate that nightmare. Here were the other requirements for crossing the border. The OPP was busting them pretty good up at the Thousand Islands and even nailed O Canada during the Lake Ontario 300 Challenge last year. $1000 to get the impounded boats back just for meandering across the water border. It pays to comply that's for sure.