Favorite Oday Picture

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 2, 2008
Island Packet 31 Brunswick, Ga
Hey, lets post our current favorite picture of this season. We can keep it running for awhile since the blessed season is young..eh?
...subscript as to why it is your favorite earns bonus points. More than one submission is encouraged.
Lets keep this up for a few weeks. It should be a great source of encouragement and comfort.
God Bless you all.
keith
Below, my favorite because it shows a downwind run, wing on wing, stern wind my returning from my first solo sail to a point of destination with kindly winds for approach and return, and the horizon seems unlimited.....therefore i title it
UNLIMITED HORIZONS
thanks

Attachments

Oct 2, 2008
First sail with my new sails. Sailing buddy Paul at the helm.
Sweet, a 28...that is my dream boat....thanks for the pic!.
Also your pic helps answer a question i have had about the jib rigging on my boat. My Jib Sheet Traveler is located Aft of my winch. My winch is located just athwart of the cockpit, just as yours. But, my Jib sheets are always getting tangled on the winch, and my jib sheet is not angle right in relation to my jib. I see your jib sheet traveler is located just athwart of your salon ports, and forward of your winches. I feel i need a jib sheet traveler located in the same area as yours.
ED, Appleman, and Joe, where are your travelers located? :confused:
keith
below, my oday cockpit..NOT (my son's C 17)

Attachments

Oct 2, 2008
Nice boat!
Lucky me, i am off to the lake for the entire weekend. my wife will be joining me tomorrow, and we will be spending our first night "on the hook".
Happy Memorial Day and God bless our military and keep you all safe
Keith, Lynn, Christa, SrA Taylor, and A1C Daniel.

Jan 24, 2005
Oday 222 Dighton, Ma.
This is my favorite picture of the season. I finally caught a "keeper" Striped Bass of 40" last night while trolling my favorite lure, the Storm Shad Eye Minnow behind my boat. The last Striper I caught measure 27" and I had to throw him back in.
Joe

Attachments

Jan 24, 2005
Oday 222 Dighton, Ma.
This is my kind of sailing Joe!

Dave,
I had to tie a rope to him and tow him to shore in my kayak and fillet him on a large flat rock. Luckily, I had an extra 25 quart cooler on board with ice, along with a large plastic container for the two fillets. I was dead tired when I got through filleting that fish. It's not easy being a "Geezer" don't 'sha known. :D I don't know why Penelope has to "moon" the camera in every timed exposure picture I take of us.
Joe

Jun 3, 2004
Oday and Catalina O'Day 25 and Catalina 30 Milwaukee
Joe -

Very nice catch. I have a friend who may join me on a sail in a couple of weeks, not because he likes to sail, but because he loves to fish. I hope he has some luck with the Lake Michigan trout or salmon. They are great thrown on the grill or smoked. So how did you cook this one?

Dave
O'Day 222

Dave

Jan 24, 2005
Oday 222 Dighton, Ma.
Joe -

Very nice catch. I have a friend who may join me on a sail in a couple of weeks, not because he likes to sail, but because he loves to fish. I hope he has some luck with the Lake Michigan trout or salmon. They are great thrown on the grill or smoked. So how did you cook this one?

Dave
O'Day 222

Dave
Hi Dave!
My wife broiled part of one of the fillets with a garlic, butter, and salt & pepper sauce spread over it and it came out good. I gave half of one of the fillets to my mother in-law and we froze the rest. I think that fish must have went about 25 lbs. I've heard that they were great on the grill or smoked but I haven't had one cooked that way yet. When you talk Salmon and Trout, you're talking great eating fish no matter how they're cooked. When I bake Blue Fish on the boat in my small oven, I usually coat the fish with mayonnaise and add onions, celery, salt and pepper, and I add some white wine to it. I love it deep fried with a a beer batter too. I've got my weight down to 212 Lbs right now and I'm trying to get down to 200 so I've been "cooling it" on the fattening foods. That Storm lure seems to work pretty well for me in my area. Perhaps it will work for him as well. Beware of toothy sea critters when you use it though. They'll chew it up.
Joe

Oct 2, 2008
Lynn and I just got home from our weekend. We sailed out to Hog Island about four hours ahead of a thunder storm. This was our first time in the boat during a storm.
I had chosen my anchorage on the lee side of the island, set my anchor by dropping it and then backing away until it caught. Then began to cook. The storm blew in (40% chance became 100% fact) and the wind of course changed 180 degrees. Thank goodness the anchor held. Sheer dumb luck that i didn't anchor closer to the shore otherwise would have swung around into the shore when the wind shifted. Biggest wind we have been in to date. We were worried about lightening. I ran my anchor chain (spare anchor) from the rear stay across the motor and into the water to try to give the lightening a little ground, and mainly to make me feel batter. All in all a pretty good experience. Sailed back under pleasent winds and the whole club (who new of our predicament because i was on the phone with them when the storm hit telling them to come get me if i wasn't back by dark-30) came out to meet us and cheered us in. It was a pretty nice bit of landing coasting into my slip wing on wing with the last whisper of breeze. Again sheer dumb luck.

Below is a my favorite picture of the storm. We didn't think to take pics till it was over, and only had our cell phone camera. But here it is anyway. This is just as the storm is blowing out, the white caps are gone. you can see how close out stern is to the shore. Notice how the flag is flying dead astern. Lightening was booming every few seconds. I think i consumed about a quarter of that bottle. Lynn was a champ and hung in there.

P.S. I think penelope moons us because we deserve it.

Happy Memorial day.

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.