Favorite cruising beverages

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
This is what my vet told me. She told me the name of the chemical that is in chocolate and that it makes dog's heart race. I may be misinformed, but most likely, I'm misremembering

Thanks, I'm now better informed.

-Will (Dragonfly)
Me too. I never looked it up, but some years ago my dog almost died after getting hold of a batch of brownies when we weren’t looking. Our vet was concerned about toxic shutdown, and needless to say our entire family was terribly upset. Luckily he pulled through, and our family was much more careful after that experience. Anything chocolate went on a high shelf, and was put away immediately - we never left chocolate on a table or counter.

Edit - my dog passed away this spring due to unrelated kidney failure at age 15. If anyone here knows a dog or human with impaired kidney please PM me I learned some things that can be done (through diet) to delay further onset and postpone need for meds or dialysis.

Last edited:

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
I use a Capresso AC-powered grinder, which draws about 100w of inverter power. It only runs about a minute a day so power draw isn’t an issue. https://www.amazon.com/Capresso-560...05537&sr=8-3&keywords=capresso+coffee+grinder
It’s pretty good, much better grind precision than the Cuisenart conical burr grinder I use at home.
Nice! I might try one of those at home. On the boat, I usually grind it at home for a few days. That's ok, but the taste drops off ground beans, dramatically after a few days. When we're off for a few weeks, I buy about a weeks worth of beans, and have it ground. At the end of the week, the taste is poor, about what you get at a gas station...

What about the hand grinders that are available? Anybody use one of those on a boat?

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
I've used one of these before. Lot of work for a pretty inconsistent grind. Not on a boat though.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
@TomY I tried a hand grinder, it was slow and too much work. Grind adjustments were hit or miss. I ended up cutting off the handle and attaching my battery powered drill. It was one of those things my wife overlooked or tolerated about my behavior. ;) That was before I succumbed to bringing the electric Capresso grinder aboard.
There are people who swear by hand-powered coffee mills and engineless sailing. To each his own. That's not for me.
This is the one I tried:
https://lifehacker.com/5583410/hand-crank-coffee-mill-grinds-on-the-go

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
For coffee I brew the cheap stuff unless I'm visiting our friends whoopee pie bakery. They share a spot with Rwanda Bean that imports coffee from Rwanda and cold brews it. The owner is from there and sends proceeds back home in the form of community projects like clean water and medical supplies. A few other places are buying their beans because of their unique flavor. Maybe I'll cold brew my cheap stuff.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
We were touring Ecuador
I spent a week in Brazil. You know Brazil, where Coffee is Coffee!
The employee coffee cart at BASF Brazil passed by.
The Brazilians had an evil grin as the Cart guy handed me a paper "pill cup" and filled it full of "molasses".
Say what?:confused:
Then they handed me a normal paper coffee cup and filled that cup full of Hot Water.
Now what?
You pour your pill cup into the other cup for the strength of coffee you want.:biggrin:
One dude just took a "hit" of the "molasses":yikes:, then rinsed it with the hot water to sip slowly.
Faster wake up call:laugh:

They make the "molasses" in a super expresso machine.
Jim...

PS: The Brazilians said "you Americans don't even know what real coffee is".;)
PSS: American pioneers used coffee making to purify water by boiling it. Thus our dilution heritage.

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2014
Marlow-Hunter MH37 Lake City, MN
What about the hand grinders that are available? Anybody use one of those on a boat?
I've used one of these. It works well, but quickly get tedious.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B013R3Q7B2

@Captain Larry-DH you'll be pleased to hear that I bought a case of flavored sparkling water last night and tried a can this morning. I think I can drink this in place of cheap beer and save my calories for the occasional quality beer. I'll test the theory this weekend.