Favorite cruising beverages

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
My wife likes making Bootlegs and beer margaritas. I love her Bootlegs but find margaritas too sweet for my taste.

Oh and wine. We sail on Lake Pepin and last year we found a line of wines called "Le Pepin" at Trader Joes. It's not great, but it's pretty good for the price and it's kind of neat to serve it to guests. We bought a case of chardonnay and a case of pinot noir and we're just about out. We usually have a boxed chard or pinot grigio in the fridge and special bottles come with us from time to time.

After the sail is when I break out the bourbon. Lately it's been Buffalo Trace because it's the only reasonably priced bourbon at the liquor store by the marina (and I quite like it), but I'll bring special bottles from time to time if I think our guests would appreciate it, such as Stagg Jr., Maker's Cask Strength or EH Taylor Single Barrel.
Bootlegs sound like a Vodka Mojito

Mojito (/moʊˈhiːtoʊ/; Spanish: [moˈxito]) is a traditional Cuban highball.

Traditionally, a mojito is a cocktail that consists of five ingredients: white rum, sugar (traditionally sugar cane juice), lime juice, soda water, and mint. Its combination of sweetness, citrus, and mint flavors is intended to complement the rum, and has made the mojito a popular summer drink. The cocktail has a relatively low alcohol content (about 10% alcohol by volume).

History
Havana, Cuba, is the birthplace of the Mojito, although the exact origin of this classic cocktail is the subject of debate. One story traces the Mojito to a similar 16th century drink known as "El Draque", after Sir Francis Drake. In 1586, after his successful raid at Cartagena de Indias Drake's ships sailed towards Havana but there was an epidemic of dysentery and scurvy on board. It was known that the local South American Indians had remedies for various tropical illnesses, so a small boarding party went ashore on Cuba and came back with ingredients for an effective medicine. The ingredients were aguardiente de caña (translated as burning water, a crude form of rum made from sugar cane) mixed with local tropical ingredients: lime, sugarcane juice, and mint. Lime juice on its own would have significantly prevented scurvy and dysentery, and tafia/rum was soon added as it became widely available to the British (ca. 1650). Mint, lime and sugar were also helpful in hiding the harsh taste of this spirit. While this drink was not called a Mojito at this time, it was the original combination of these ingredients.

There is another very similar cocktail called the South Side or South Side Fizz made with gin instead of rum

jerlim

Jun 26, 2006
-Catalina -25 Eastern Long Island
We're partial to the tradition: spiced rum, coconut rum, pineapple and orange juice and nutmeg...oft times referred to as 'pain killers'...but ONLY once we're moored, swinging or at the dock...

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
@pateco Chip you are a fountain of Mixology knowledge. I look forward to having a discussion and sampling together.
Only issue is we will need to tape the conversation or I may never remember the concoctions that we would need to sample... Strictly for professional reasons, of course.

FDL S2

Jun 29, 2014
S2 7.3 Fond du Lac
Mostly I drink plain ice cold spring water when I'm sailing in the heat. Occasionally I'll have a beer and usually only one - Shiner Bock, Fat Tire, Point Onyx and Guinness are my go-tos in that order.
I will have the occasional cocktail-Vodka and tonic with a wedge of lime, vodka and pineapple or grapefruit. Or a peach schnapps and pineapple.
Tied up at the dock after sundown- scotch, 3 ice cubes and a splash of water. Red wine- Cabernet Sauvignon or Pinot Noir.
Guests who know I don't drink very much are always surprised at how much alcohol is on the boat, but I like variety and being a good host.

Feb 21, 2008
Hunter 33 Metedeconk River
It might sound more like a frat party than an after sail libation, but my favorite is Fireball and Mug Root
Beer (regular or diet).

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
Vino Colapso, is usually our onboard wine. Nothing makes more sense in an icebox. You can get some decent box wines (and leave the box onshore). For wine snobs, we keep a decanter onboard.

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
Morning: nothing like fresh coffee, plenty of it. We have a burr grinder for fresh grind and French press, and we use the Caffi filter bags https://www.amazon.com/Caffi-Paper-Coffee-Filters-French/dp/B00PX6U35I which reduce sediment, allow use of a finer grind (fine grind enhances flavor - makes the coffee taste richer) and make pot cleaning a breeze.

Day: either cold brew herbal teas or bottled spring water, or seltzer.

Evening, when not underway: I’m an IPA guy, wife prefers white wines.

Last edited:

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
@pateco Chip you are a fountain of Mixology knowledge. I look forward to having a discussion and sampling together.
Only issue is we will need to tape the conversation or I may never remember the concoctions that we would need to sample... Strictly for professional reasons, of course.
One of the best classes I took at the University of Florida was Bar-tending 101. Got two required elective credits for it. There was a hell of a lab fee for a class in 1987, but we drank what we mixed, and learned a lot. That class is what got me into home brewing as well.

What... You thought it was Ever-clear (also known as grain alcohol) and flavorings?:stir:
I still use a secret ingredient I learned of in that bar-tending class for many cocktails.

Orgeat syrup is a sweet syrup made from almonds, sugar, and rose water or orange flower water. It was originally made with a barley-almond blend. It has a pronounced almond taste and is used to flavor many cocktails.

Used in Mai-Tais, and many Tropical Rum Punches, it completely hides the harsh flavors of cheap Rum.:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

It is also a great secret ingredient for many party punches including those made with Ever-clear. Beware, those punches will surely sneak up on you.:yeah:

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
I like coffee. Sweet and creamy, hot or iced. The richer the better. We use to grind our own but Cafe Du Monde chicory coffee is awesome.

Otherwise, anything non-diet.
When with guests, I favor Three Philosophers quadruple by Ommegang.

- Will (Dragonfly)

Jun 14, 2010
snip

For beer, I'll alternate between a low alcohol/low calorie beer and water. I just finished up a case of Miller 64. Going to try Budweiser Select 55 next. I much prefer craft beer, but the caloric cost of pounding those down is too much. I do have craft beer aboard but the selection always varies. I try for beers in the 5% ABV range. Right now it's Bent Paddle Brewing's Kanu session pale ale.
snip.
@plenny7 with all due respect: Since you appreciate craft beers save your calories (and money) for the good stuff. I'd rather have a single six-pack of quality brew than 2 cases of Miller or Bud? :eek: If those were the only options? Water, please. (Yes, I'm a beer snob and not ashamed about it.)

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
@plenny7 with all due respect: Since you appreciate craft beers save your calories (and money) for the good stuff. I'd rather have a single six-pack of quality brew than 2 cases of Miller or Bud? :eek: If those were the only options? Water, please. (Yes, I'm a beer snob and not ashamed about it.)
For our club's Summer Beercan races, The top three finishers each week are awarded BEER!!!

However it tends to be Bud or Bud Light. I probably have a case aboard left over from this summer. I keep a several in the cooler along with the REAL beer, and some of the crew seem to like it. LOL. I might go through that case by next summer.

Other beer in the cooler or on the boat right now:
  • New Belgium Fat Tire
  • Rogue Dead Guy
  • Warsteiner Dunkle
  • Blue Point Toasted Lager
  • Somehow I still have some Sam Adams Oktoberfest left as well. (I must not be drinking enough beer):rolleyes:

Oct 3, 2014
Marlow-Hunter MH37 Lake City, MN
@Captain Larry-DH you publicly shame me...and rightly so. I truly understand your point. When I've gone to just water I drink them too fast and it leaves me wanting more. I used to alternate a drink of some sort with a bottle of water all day (with no more than one drink per hour) but if I finish a six pack of IPA over the course of the day is over 1000 calories, hence the move to crappy super-light beer. Perhaps I should try some sort of flavored sparkling water next time out, interspersed with the occasional craft beer. I'd much rather enjoy a refreshing Kolsh or an assertive IPA.

A little background about my concern for calories. Three years ago I was obese and getting bigger. After seeing a horribly unflattering photo of me, I decided I needed a change in my life. I started getting active by walking and then running, and I reduced the amount of food I ate. Since that point I've lost 60 pounds and am now running ultramarathons (I have three 50K races completed and will be training for two 50 mile races in April). During the training season where I might run 40 to 60 miles per week I can pretty much eat what I want but May through September is sailing season for us and my running volume goes way down. It's tough to adjust my appetite, particularly since we eat and drink so well on the boat, and my weight drifts up. I'm still overweight and am trying to lose another 15 pounds. I've seen too many of my male relatives keel over at too early of an age.

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2014
Marlow-Hunter MH37 Lake City, MN
I like coffee. Sweet and creamy, hot or iced. The richer the better. We use to grind our own but Cafe Du Monde chicory coffee is awesome.
I used to grind my own on the boat but I caught hell for making too much noise, since my wife was still trying to sleep. That's why I moved to Bustelo, since I wanted an espresso grind. If I can find that Cafe Du Monde locally, I'll try it out.

Oct 30, 2017
Catalina c 27 Lake Pueblo
It might sound more like a frat party than an after sail libation, but my favorite is Fireball and Mug Root
Beer (regular or diet).

I did fireball with Tang during a backcountry hut skiing trip one year...
Not as good as it sounds.
what's that you say? It doesn't sound good? yep, and still not as good as it sounds.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
I don't know if it's because I've been a commercial seafarer all my life or that I'm an insensitive clod, but really strong, black coffee that the spoon will stand up in has always been my go-to brew before a watch or when I wake.
I certainly enjoy a nice cup of fancy coffee, black of course, but gourmet coffee over quantity and convenience (a big pot of piping hot coffee on the stove whenever I want it) just has never been a priority when I'm underway.

Jun 14, 2010