Fastbottoms, avert your eyes!

Oct 29, 2005
Hunter Marine 326 303 Singapore
Guys if economy goes south we could be farming these growth for food ;)

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
Guys if economy goes south we could be farming these growth for food ;)
No doubt! Should have left it in the water. I'll bet it was the best fishing spot around.

So, ya got fresh fish and a seaweed salad every night of the week right there. It might take two years to cross an ocean, but you'd never go hungry!

Jun 30, 2009
Cal 1-30 Muskegon, MI
I believe you'd call that a "Chia Boat" One of the advantages of sailing in the "Cold Blue North" is that we don't have this kind of growth. On my third season with Petit Hydrocoat.

Aug 3, 2012
Performance Cruising Telstar 28 302 Watkins Glen
Never saw a bottom job that started with a hedge trimmer!

Nov 29, 2012
While I am a Huge fan of bleach, beware, it has caustic properties that may be hostile to your hull. Ya wanna see delamination? Just let the bleach sit on your hull for more than 10 minutes.

Jul 6, 2013
Catalina 30TR, Atomic 4 2480 Milwaukee
Good point. You are probably right. If the bottom was neglected that badly, everything else likely was too. Still, I have to think that much growth would have at least some effect on the waterline.
Most of that would be neutral bouyancy. Maybe barnacle and mussel shells would add some weight, but probably not much.
I also think it had to be full of water.

Oct 10, 2013
Ericson 29 St. Helens
I bought a project boat that was being used as an immobile livaboard. I fully expected the bottom to look like that when it was hauled. But... there was a moderate layer of slime with what looked like children's hand prints all over the bottom. Nutria? Beavers? Something was grazing on the bottom, keeping the growth in check, if not exactly clean. Except the bottom of the keel. That had so much growth it looked like it had a keel bulb.

Feb 14, 2007
Ranger33 25 NewOrleans
Im scare now. When I bought my boat the previous owner said they bought it in 2008 and they sailed it maybe 3 times since . PO said it was hauled out in 2011 for a bottom job. when i started to clean up the out side there was this brown with white poke a dots jelly fish looking bubble on a fender that was hanging low in the water wonder what the bottom looks like.