Fastbottoms, avert your eyes!

Nov 30, 2015
Hunter 1978 H30 Cherubini, Treman Marina, Ithaca, NY
How is this for a bit of growth on the bottom?
Also too funny. Too much time thinking about sailing as opposed to actually sailing? This is one of those pictures you should kick out to the SBO membership for captioning...

WayneH

Jan 22, 2008
Tartan 37 287 Pensacola, FL
I hope the owner got a permit from the Department of Natural Resources before removing that ecosystem from the water.

Nov 30, 2015
Hunter 1978 H30 Cherubini, Treman Marina, Ithaca, NY
3 years without bottom paint, shallow slip in Florida, no movement since 2013....priceless...natural sea anchors installed.

Oct 24, 2010
Hunter 30 Everett, WA
I always said that the copper-free bottom paint was crap.
I rest my case.
In Washington, we will soon be mandated no copper paint on recreational boats. I made the mistake of trying Micron CF and it worked great for about a year (had soft growth but not hard.) After the year the soft growth wouldn't come off.
Disappointed, I repainted this last September.

Ken

Nov 26, 2012
Catalina 250 Bodega Bay CA
Spray growth with bleach and it will die before your eyes and then scrape or rub off after hosing it down. Chief

Feb 26, 2011
Achilles SD-130 Alameda, CA
So, what does it take to remove this? Does it scrape off easily? Just curious.
As you can see in the pic, the growth is being removed with a large scraper, undoubtably to be followed by a pressure washer. Does it scrape off easily? Not by the looks of the guy putting his weight into the scraper.

Around here, the yard would probably require the boat be cleaned prior to hauling out.

Jan 27, 2008
ODay 35 Beaufort, NC
The three B's will soon devour the planet. They banned DDT and now Bed Bugs are a crisis. Soon with no copper Barnacles will be running rampant.

Oct 6, 2007
Hunter H30 1982 Chicago IL
:eek:
Avery your
Surprised it could float
The newer growth on the hull looks to be six or eight inches above the top of the bottom paint. Who knows how to calculate what all that growth would have to weigh to raise the waterline so much on a boat this size?

Feb 26, 2011
Achilles SD-130 Alameda, CA
:eek:
Avery your

The newer growth on the hull looks to be six or eight inches above the top of the bottom paint. Who knows how to calculate what that growth would have to weigh to raise the waterline so much on a boat this size?
There is no way the weight of the fouling growth raised the waterline like that. That boat was full of water.

Oct 6, 2007
Hunter H30 1982 Chicago IL
Good point. You are probably right. If the bottom was neglected that badly, everything else likely was too. Still, I have to think that much growth would have at least some effect on the waterline.