FARR MUMM 30 OPINIONS

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Well, performance-wise most the Farr 30 speaks for itself. That should be pretty clear what you're get so himself into. High-performance racer day Sailor. Nothing more than that.

In the United States the Farr 30 is made by Berry Carrol at Carrol Marine. Carrol Marine focused on the first four years of boat ownership, when the original owner was going to campaign the boat. after that he didn't give a shit. So the boats actually were not well-built. Most people don't own a boat made by 'barely careful' after the original owner.

Look for wet decks, stringers separated from the hall, and bilge reinforcements coming off of the liner.

Jan 4, 2010
Farr 30 San Francisco
yep this is a Carrol Marine version price is low, but maybe the stingy man pays the most. Have found a surveyor with a moisture meter. As to performance, well it will be a bit faster and bouncier than the Bene F 375

Nov 8, 2010
Have them not just look at moisture, but also structure. Look for delaminations and separations. Also look at the one design class site. I'm sure they'll have a list of recommended or required modifications from the builder

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
John
Our son had one. Was a popular class boat on the Great Lakes. Fast boat. He had to peel off the entire hull skin and relaminate the core because of how the hull was constructed allowing moisture to permeate the core. Large areas of the deck as well.

Nov 8, 2010
y As to performance, well it will be a bit faster and bouncier than the Bene F 375
Oh windward it will TORCH your 375. You're PHRF 110? The Farr is a minute a mile faster. Even at 30 feet LOA it is faster than the 36.7 which is 5 feet longer. And the 367 is a witch to windward.

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
Yikes! I am told this boat had that done already. Is the repair durable?
If the core was rotted and then repaired properly, you will have a great boat to race. The work done on our son's boat made it better than any of the originals which left the 'factory'. No reason to think it wouldn't be permanent unless the work didn't include the entire hull or deck.

These boats were crap when new but survivors which have been fixed are great racers.

Jan 4, 2010
Farr 30 San Francisco
Guys thanks for your responses, what about chainplates? I see the boat in 10 days, have bought it in my mind so full on boat lust here.

Nov 8, 2010
Guys thanks for your responses, what about chainplates? I see the boat in 10 days, have bought it in my mind so full on boat lust here.
A mixed bag. Because the Farr30 has a modern non-overlapping rig, its shroud base is at the hull deck joint. This is happiness because any boat is basically strong here, and the deck fittings bolt onto a flange built into the hull under the deck. Sadness again because of Carrol Marine, who under-built the basically solid Farr design. He figured good enough. For some yes; others no. Have a good look.

Jan 4, 2010
Farr 30 San Francisco
It seems the gel coat can peel off in big hunks, or not depending on luck, Good news I suppose it gelcoat is non-structural. Some suggest grind it smooth and two part epoxy paint.

I an now told there were different spar suppliers, Hall, Southern (both good) and ?? some Italian name (not so good)