False / Secret Bilge

May 16, 2021
Hunter 34 Melbourne, FL
I have recently purchased a 1985 34 Hunter and read allot about the false bilge and did not know if the attched pic shows that the conversion has already taken place, or still needs to be done? It looks like there has been some new fibreglass work done but just not sure. Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

Nov 12, 2009
J/ 32 NCYC, Western Lake Erie
I don't know about secret bilges, but to me it looks like a sump for the shower drain.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Welcome aboard, Andiamo!
Hard to tell from that picture if the work was done. Usually when folks remove the false bottom plate, there is a ridge around the bottom of the sump where you can see the remnants of the bottom attachment. It looks like yours has not been done, but again, can't see enough.. Here is what mine looked like before opening and during the opening..
IMG_0654.JPGIMG_0655.JPG

May 16, 2021
Hunter 34 Melbourne, FL
Welcome aboard, Andiamo!
Hard to tell from that picture if the work was done. Usually when folks remove the false bottom plate, there is a ridge around the bottom of the sump where you can see the remnants of the bottom attachment. It looks like yours has not been done, but again, can't see enough.. Here is what mine looked like before opening and during the opening..
View attachment 194202View attachment 194203
Thank you, I'll do some tapping to see if I can hear solid or hollow before I try drilling. It looks like it is only 3/8" fibreglass so it should be easy to tell. Thanks again and happy sailing

Mar 20, 2011
Hunter 31_83-87 New Orleans
Here is another post from a H34 owner on the false bilge

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Looks like the bilge pump setup on my H30T. Never thought of it as a "false bilge". The centerline bilge areas are all connected by limber holes. I run a long, thin cleaning brush thru them occasionally but for the most part they are dry and spotless. The shower pump is on the starboard side under the seating.